1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Granite Countertop Care

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TZ250, Oct 4, 2008.

1. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Friendly 'Cafe members:
    What care is required for granite countertops? Do they need to be sealed? What will happen if water sits on the countertop for a few minutes? (I know that granite is porous, but will it be negatively affected?)

Thanks in advance! :smile:

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Two things I know for certain, keep any liquids that stain or are acidic away from granite and it is wise to occassionally spray the granite with Pledge and wipe it down once a week.

3. About every 6 months you wet it down with sealer, leave it for 5-10 minutes but do not let it dry, then wipe it off. The dealers who sell other materials make a big deal about it...because they make money selling other products. We've had a granite counter top for over two years now. Liquid has not seeped into it. The only difference I've noticed is when the sealer wears out things tend to stick to it more readily.

I would not have chosen uba tuba if I had it to do over. When small sticky items drop on it you can't see them. You have to feel by braille to find the dried items..we use one of those plastic scrapers from the Pampered Chef.

We're very pleased with our granite counter tops. We do a lot of cooking and pouring over it and have not encountered any staining or detectable marking.

78096701_HheGo-L.

Rich

4. I use a very fine automotive compound,and auto wax on mine,and they still look new.

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I have them sealed once a year...along with a quartzite flooring that I have in my kitchen. I just wipe them down with 409 everyday. Very easy.

6. Deep

Deep

Sep 27, 2008
    Milton, ON
    My parents have had Granite in their kitchen for 10 years, same top. Not ONCE used a sealer or anything other than normal cleaning detergent. Still looks great and gleams!

7. Have had a granite countertop and island for about 10 years and just wiped it down with dish detergent when needed. It still looks new.

Now, marble would be a different story as it is more pourous and would really need more maintainance .....

8. Install a RADON detector - I have heard some reports of higher-than-ambient radon levels in homes with granite. I lived in Denver from 82-86 and were advised then that basements needed good ventilation to aid in radon evacuation. Lots of granite in the immediate area and lots of clay which is just eroded feldspar - one of the principal ingrediantes of granite.

9. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    According to out granite installer, he doesn't use any soap to wipe his counters, after the initial seal during installation, he just let's the granite soak up oils from split food etc and it will seal itself with these oils. Be more careful with marble though, as it is much less acid resistant, and stains much more easily.

10. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Seneca, our granite installer suggested to never use 409 on the countertop. He said it could penetrate and possibly stain the counter. He suggested mild dish detergent and water, and to use a sponge or cloth that you don't use to wash dishes, so that it doesn't have any food residue that could build up on the countertop.

11. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Yeah I thought the same...but the granite is sealed so it doesn't penetrate. We get it sealed once a year.

I use it everyday...and it's fine. Been doing it for 3 years now.

12. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.