Gray Day at the Skagit - BIF

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Finally getting some of my D200 focus issues, all mine :redface: , back in focus, just wish we had some decent light. Jim and I went up to the Skagit River and Flats on Friday, not the worst day we have had, but far from grand. Left the 1.4 TC off due to the bad light and did what we could. All three of these shots can only be called "long distance", so far that the crops are maybe 15-20% of the original. Nice to have the added resolution to do this.

Adult Bald Eagle:
    [​IMG]

An "Almost" Adult Bald Eagle:
    [​IMG]

Northern Harrier, flying low:
    [​IMG]

The Harrier was no more than 2-3 feet off the ground.

The tough part here is getting used to the bird being less than the size of a focus reticle, and keeping both I and the camera, stable and steady both on the tripod and the bird. A few more things to try, but I think I'm getting closer.

I like the first one the best.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bill,

It is amazing that you were able to get any shots at all in these conditions. ISO 1600, wide open aperture, birds in flight. I'm impressed. :wink:

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Nice shot, ISO1600 looks good on D200

5. Thanks, Frank, I figure that if I can figure out the D200 in THESE conditions, well, heck, sunshine will be a piece of cake :biggrin: The differences in the camera are interesting, and the higher resolution, I think, highlighted a couple of "bad things" that I was doing technique-wise as well.

Actually, if we don't go and shoot in some of these conditions up here we really limit what we can do, and just getting out is great.

The most frustrating thing about this day was the group of Eagles we saw about 20 feet off the road while driving up. We find a spot to park, get out of the car, set up and then SLOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLLYYYYY, and quietly, walk back to where they were. We got within about 50-60 feet of the spot and the first bird flew away, then the second, and the third, and the fourth......crap...... Now if we HAD been able to get them to wait a bit, WOW. I think some were so close we may not have been able to get full-body with 500mm.

6. Thanks, John, ISO 1600 was one thing I was looking for to be better than on my D2H, and to date I am not at all unhappy.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Bill, it sure was a tough day on the river but fun none the less. You are doing great getting the used to the new camera. It will be so nice when you can use the back buttons. Boy our weather here in the NW sure sucks now. I want to get back out and maybe we can. I just looked at my images for the first time this morning. Nothing great but I will post a few just for fun. Sure nice to be able to use that high ISO. Thanks for the day, it was fun even if we had no sun.

9. Right on all counts, Jim, just saw yours, and darned if they don't look somewhat familiar :wink: I'm just REALLY annoyed at that first bunch of Eagles we saw on the drive up. If we only could have parked when we first saw them.....