Gray Market vs US

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by frogpix, May 28, 2005.

1. I am about to buy a 70-200 VR lens and teleconverter (1.7) I have the choice at B & H of 'imported' or US. Can anybody with experience tell me if there is any difference except for the US Warranty vs sending it back to B & H for repair? I have never had problems with any lenses, so I am wondering if I am wasting my time filling out the rebat form and all that stuff rather than just buying an imported (gray market) lens.

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Steve,

If you go to B&H site and then to HELP...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

then down to "ordering online"--

then to 'What is Grey Market'---

that will give you a good explanation of grey market lenses.
    This was helpful to me.

Also you could get a MACK Warranty on imported lenses but I just don't know how good the Mack warranties really are. They sound good but I am cuious to know if anyone on the forum has actually used it..

Best to you,

Gaye

3. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Hi,

Personally, and not to start a flame war here, I always buy US. I understand the price difference is a big lure, but I would rather find a good deal at a reputable dealer (which B&H is) for a US-warranted version.

I have only had an issue with one piece of Nikon gear - my 50mm 1.4D AF. About a year ago, I noticed that the optical coating was flaking off inside the front lens element. I sent it in and Nikon repaired it. Now, it is happening again, so I am going to send it back again. 5-year warranty is up this September.

Peace of mind goes a long way in my world.

Just my humble opinion,

C

4. I bought both my 70-200VR and my 17-55 Nikkor lenses from B&H grey market because they were being brought back to Canada so a NikonUSA warranty wouldn't have done me any good anyway. Both lenses had USA stickers on them when they arrived, which I found very interesting. One of them has USA at the beginning of the serial number as well. I did ask the B&H guys if there was any difference in quality, manufacture, etc and he assured me the only difference was the warranty, so for $34 extra, I also have a 7 year warranty instead of 5. I do however believe in making sure my cameras have local warranties. HTH, Sandi

5. Thanks a lot for the information. I'll probably just go with the US stuff and fill out the rebate cards and all that. In the long run, there is no sense to step over 20 dollar bills to pick up nickels.

Steve

P.S. By the way, I pretty much have figured out the WT-2A. The Nikon Tech guy knew 2/3 and I knew the other 2/3, so we got it fired up.

6. I usually buy the US version, too, just to avoid any problems down the line. My old F5 is a gray version and it has a small issue that I've been afraid to mess with. I've been afriad to send it to Nikon for fear they will send it back and I'll have to look elsewhere. No real problem with that - just the hassle and expense of shipping, etc.

Re: the Mack warranty, I used mine once on a 300mm f2.8 that quit focusing. They were pretty slow about things until I lit a fire under them. It took 4 months to get the lens back, but only about 3 weeks after they actually authorized the repair expense (at the Nikon facility where they sent it).

7. Gonna buy stuff with the U.S. Warranty, I guess.

Steve

8. karma

karma Guest

HI TOLady,
    Just out of curiosity and off topic, where did you get your left handed camera shown on your avatar? Inquiring minds wonder....... :lol:

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sparky...she prepared her avatar by shooting her own image in a mirror.

10. karma

karma Guest

Hi Frank,
    Got it. Being a south paw I was hoping it really was left handed. One of the major Nikon commentators, it could have been Ken Rockwell or Thom Hogan, claimed he has actually shot with a left handed Nikon. I don't remember the model for sure. It might have been the F4.

I don't remember much, do I? Sorry. Getting old I guess.

It is facinating that Nikon would go to the trouble of producing a left handed camera even if it was only a prototype as it was claimed to be. Being left handed is an adventure. Fine, Olympic level target rifles are produced in left handed models. They do charge for the option; in the range of 20%. They are well worth the money. I would be willing to pay the extra for a camera I could use left handed.