Great Blue and Little Green

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I went to the local pond this morning and got more than the normal ducks and geese. The resident GBH was there, and I got close to a LGH for the first time there in over a year. Here are a few samples.

GBH in a tree:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LGH on the prowl:
    [​IMG]

Struttin' his stuff:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a bonus Honker and Quacker:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Excellent arent the LGH's so much fun to watch once they start hunting they ae pretty approcahable, great shots all the way around here Frank

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    FLEWWWWWWWWWWWWW

EXCELLLLAUANT......LOL
    They are gorgeous Frank

lol that silly look on that second one is really familiar....lolol

4. GORGEOUS shots, Frank. In the last, the water ripples give the impression that the bird is flying right on the screen.

5. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Good shots Frank. Maybe it was me that scared the LGH off yesterday afternoon when we say him flying around. I haven't seen one of these in person yet.

Gale - the look of these GBHs straight on just cracks me up. They have this big long beak, then they turn their head, and nothing, just this little round dot with two beady eyes.

6. Oh my those are nice Frank.

Martin

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank -

All great shots, as usual. My favorite is the first LGH. Do I remember a photo maybe a year ago of that guy standing next to a waterfall? My least favorite is the GBH head on. Side views of heron heads are beautiful. Head-on shots are, well, to be charitable, weird. Bug-eyed monsters from another planet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gordon

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Frank,

The shots of the LGH are marvelous. I'm surprised that you were able to get that close to him especially with those short lenses you have. :lol:

9. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Harry, please don't tell Frank his lens is short. You'll give him an inferiority complex and feelings of male inadequacy :wink:

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Yeah don't let Harry pick on ya. I'm already used to it :lol:
    Great set Frank !!!
    Hey I got one of each today too, may post later :)

11. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Frank, nice shots, and that "pond" is working out for you even late in the season.

Wade

12. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Great shots, Frank! The LGH is so much fun to shoot when they're fishin' and struttin'. Nice captures.

13. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Frank:

This is a wonderful series and those are some beautiful birds. I love the colors and the action on the last one. Wish we had birds like that around here :mrgreen:

14. Frank, those are just stunning. Would you believe I like the goose and the duck best of all....must be because I relate to them better :lol: I think I've seen a GBH exactly twice in my entire life! Somebody should really ship some of those birds up this way so we can have some fun, too ;)

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Gordon, I don't know if this is the same bird, but yes, you did see several LGH shots about a year ago, including several standing in the spillway at the other end of this pond. I agree on the head-on shots of the GBH. I only included this one because they do look so weird. 8)

Harry, Yeah, just keep rubbing it in. :)

Ben, I know Harry too well to let him get to me. In reality, he's just a big teddy bear. :D

Wade, we are lucky in that there are birds at the pond year around. The mix changes with the seasons, but there's always something there.

Sommer, You really need to get down to Florida. There are so many varieties of birds there, including the GBH and LGH, that you will be overwhelmed, and the folks (Gale, Gaye, Harry, Kevin, Harris, Birger, et al) are very friendly, and will happily share all of the great shooting places with you. ;-)

Thanks again everyone.

16. Very nice, Frank! I always enjoy your shots. The LGH strutting is funny...looks like a roadrunner to me.

Hope you're starting to get excited about the migration period coming up. I'm really looking forward to MI3!

17. Man whats not too like, two thumbs up 45921703.

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks guys. Keith, I love the new avatar. 8)

19. The LGH shots are great, especially Struttin His Stuff. Lighting on that shot is really nice. Excellent images all Frank.

20. Great series Frank! Love the LGH shots and those flight shots of the goose and duck are fantastic.