Great Blue, Gracefully Gliding Along

Discussion in 'Birds' started by helmet155, Nov 20, 2005.

1. More from SJWS today. Desert Rat (Eric) was down this way so I broke away from my Honey-do list to catch 150 shots of GBH, Cormorants, Pelicans, BCNH, Snowys, Great Egret, Osprey all in the single hour I had to spend there.

My goal today: BIFs on approach instead of depature. After reading the user manual twice this week I think I caught a tidbit about predictive tracking subjects for a few moments prior to taking any shots and allowing the AF system to 'get ready'...I think it worked :cool:

Regardless, I am working more on the RR techniques as I just went through the book for the 5th time. I processed these as a batch based on the first one.

As always critiques are welcome as are comments, good or bad :cool: :cool:

[​IMG]

I really like this perspective, your thoughts??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I screwed the composition on this one on the crop, I think GBH could be positioned better...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not every sequence ends perfectly for me, BGH is in great focus but those darn reeds are in the way again...
    [​IMG]

2. Excellent shots Brett. My opinion of the "Perspective" shot is that although it does a wonderful job of showing the wings, the head is lost. If the head was up or down or otherwise made to stand out, I would have liked it better. But that doesn't take away from the fact that it is an excellent shot! I wish I could train my D70 to focus so well!

3. Looks like you're getting a good handle on bif shots. Personally, I like the head on shot but agree with Jim about it being difficult to see his head and all. Good job!

4. Jim and Kevin I agree, I knew there was something that didn't work about it and it is the poor head placement. What I DO like is how the wingspan vs. body size is apparrent.

Jim: the D70 IMO requires time to get setup to track moving objects coming toward or moving away. I use this technique for shooting motorcycle racing but when I started shooting wildlife a month or two ago that technique was lost in the excitement. Time will tell if my technique is a technique or if I am getting lucky, who knows :cool:

Thank you both for taking the time to comment.

Regards,

Brett

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Brett :

Actually, I like the head placement in the perspective shot.

We all enjoy the sideways long lanky neck shots on the GBH's, but often don't capture just how small the head and neck are in comparison with the body of the bird. While this may not be a shot to sell in the magazines for the usual viewer, it's an unusual and very well managed photo. Well done.

John P.

6. I really think they catch the nature of the GBH's and the wingspan is wonderful -- looks like a B-1 bomber coming home. I wonder how the head would be if you applied a liuttle less USM.

Paul:smile:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    A GBH can't look bad.
    I think all your images are just great.

I love GBH's .

8. Boy you are faster at processing these images than I am.. :biggrin:

Pretty sweet!! Looks like you got a better handle on flight shots that I do currently..

The head on shot is pretty neat but needed the head to be moved somewhat higher up or have it turned slightly to see the eyes better...

I am working on getting a few posted today from yesterday and a week ago somewhere else...

BTW if Ron would do a two person session I would be interested in splitting the cost with ya. I only have a few questions about thigns regarding wildlife shooting..

9. Another fine series. Love to see all the great pictures of these GBH's.

10. Great series Brett. The GBH is really majestic in flight. Interesting techinque you've got going.

11. Thanks everyone for commenting.

Paul: I have a tendency to oversharpen I think but was very careful with these - I did not add any sharpening other than the D70 .set file I created based on Ron Reznick's USM recommendations for Capture...

Eric: I would love to shoot with your D2X for an hour or so to test my lenses and to see if a D2X would be right for me - it's up in the air right now, D2X, D200 or D2Hs. I'm leaning toward D2Hs due to the manageable file size, but that also seems to be the only thing holding me back from having one already.

I've gotten some interest in my recent shots from one of the local business owners to sell some prints, I don't think I would have ever gotten to a point where I felt comfortable showing anyone my work without everyone's help here.

Thanks,

Brett

12. Thanks Louis! In the spirit of education, when you say interesting technique what do you mean?

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett,

Very nice series. I agree with Paul that a little less USM would make them look even better. I've discussed this issue with Ron, and he agrees that his settings are just a (good) starting point. My PS CS process tends to accentuate sharpening, so I almost always back off of Ron's settings in NC. Back when I used Paint Shop Pro, I would often boost his settings in NC. Guess it just depends on your process. :smile:

14. Hey Frank, thanks for looking...I think I may have found something: I had the sharpening in my D70 set to +1 so I need to back off on the USM in Capture (using 48,5,8 per your tip from RR) and/or back off the +1 D70 setting.

Before I started shooting RAW I used the +1 to help with the JPG stuff...

Once I perfect my process I am going to start yet another thread in the Tech forum to discuss it, hope to hear from you on it!

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett,

If you are shooting RAW then you can leave the sharpening at the current setting, since you can always turn it off in NC. I set my in-camera sharpening to the highest setting so that I get a nice sharp review in the LCD. The biggest thing is to get it right in PP. I would keep your current cam settings, and then take care of it in post.

16. Frank, will do...On the advanced RAW palette just make sure to back it off to Normal sharpening prior to dialing in the USM, correct?

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett,

In my experience, if you use Ron's USM settings, you should set the sharpening to None (that is what his settings file does in NC). I've used this in 1,000's of shots, and it seems to work well.