Great Blue Heron and an egret (?)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by JeffKohn, Aug 21, 2005.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Went to Brazos Bend SP this Sat morning, had the chance to get pretty close to these two fellas. Not sure exactly what the second one is as I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to birds. Both taken with D2x + 200-400 VR. Have to say I'm loving the AF performance and big viewfinder the D2x gives me, world of difference from D70. As always comments/feedback welcome.

(click on image for PBase page with full exif info)

original.

original.

original.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Jeff, the backgrounds on the two egret pictures are awesome! It looks like the beastie is posing in front of an abstract painting. Compliments.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Most excellent shots Jeff. I wish that I could shoot with the 200-400 for a day or so. I like my 300 2.8 a lot, but the flexibility of the 200-400 is undeniable, and the images speak for themselves. 8)

5. Jeff
    Very nice shots, love the first two great bokeh/background. It sure is a sweet combination

6. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    MAn , I love the background in # 2. Great shots.

CAme back and looked again . The lighting is so good in # 2 & 3. Good Job.

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Great shots Jeff...

8. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Great shots, Jeff! Brazos Bend is on my list of places to visit in this area this fall. I think the white bird may be an immature Little Blue Heron. The bluish bill and gray/green legs are my reason for thinking that way.

9. Really nice colors and DOF on these image. You are making things come alive with your new D2X, keep posting.

10. Excellent Jeff!

Anthony

11. Great shots Jeff, two thumbs up 45921703.

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks very much for the feedback, everyone. I really appreciate the kind words.

Wish I could have gotten the feet completely in the second and third shots but they were blocked from view by part of the railing. The background made those shots for me. I did use a soft light layer at low opacity to boost the saturation a little bit but the painterly effect of the bokeh is what the lens gave me.

Interesting, wouldn't have expected that name for a bird that's predominantly white. Thanks for the info.

Thanks again,

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Very nice Jeff. Having a good background can make such a difference in a shot.