Great Blue Heron and Barred Owl

This was a two-fer. Within 15 yards I was able to get some pictures of some amazing wildlife. The first was a Barred Owl in the top of a tree. Its mate was around somewhere, or so that is what the locals said. They indicated their nest was around the area, but I could not find it.

Second was a Great Blue Heron that came in to do some fishing. It would not come in real close and was reaching the limits of the 70-200 as well as my D600 (I really need a teleconverter).

Many of these to be tighter, but they are heavily cropped. So I would rather keep the quality intact. Hope you enjoy.

1 - This was shad number two. He snagged on earlier.

DSC_7273-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 -

DSC_7199-XL.jpg

3 - On the hunt!

DSC_7303-XL.jpg

4 - The Barred Owl

DSC_7153-XL.jpg

5 - He had an itch

DSC_7183-XL.jpg

Nice find and shots. Looks like you had to harsh light.

Rich,

Thank you. It was terrible light, but I could not pass on those opportunities. Thankfully the DR of the D600 saved me on many shots. Cannot remember exactly the time, but it was around 2pm! Obviously not the best time to be shooting.

Real Name
Dan
Dude you need some longer glass. That second shot with the dark BG had some serious potential with a tighter shot. Looks like you had a good outing.

I wish I had taken the 100-300, but I was not on a photography trip but a trip with the family at the park and I decided at the last moment to take only my a camera and one lens. I may try to go back and take something longer. The second shot I could get tighter, but I liked the reflection and decided to crop that way.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom