Great Blue Heron from PA

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Went to Peace Valley Park north of Philly on Sunday. Normally a very productive place, a friend - expert birder and photographer - and I wandered from lake to marsh, through woods and fields, for about five hours. Net result - we got shots of exactly one (1) bird, this GBH. This is my favorite image. D2x, 200-400VR at 400, and TC17. Cropped off maybe 30% to frame the bird. Enjoy!

Gordon

original.

2. Gordon nice capture, shame your sightings were so scare but that is how it goes some time.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK Gordon, you asked for it, so here goes. 8)

I like the pose. He looks like he is in focus pretty well, and the color balance looks pretty close based on my experience with GBH's. It does look like the EV comp should have been down a third or two-thirds stops (probably closer to a third). I don't like some of the intervening grass shoots, but when you only get one shot, you can't be a beggar / chooser. :lol:

You really need to come down to the Cafe picnic this week-end, and we'll get you a bunch of GBH, duck, and goose shots, and maybe some Eagles and Osprey. We are also going to have the run of the local botanical gardens, and I know that we'll get a bunch of flower, bug, and hummer macro shots. On top of that, the company, food, and drink is going to be excellent. :wink:

4. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I always find heron/egret shot with the feather rising is interesting. The adult usually do this after they eat big prey. Is it the case here?

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank -

I appreciate the comments - all valid. I exposed for the scene, not the GBH. The foliage was fresh green and radiant in the sun, and I nailed it. But the GBH got to hot. I wish the grass wasn't there also, but I never got a clean shot. So I look at this as an environmental shot as much as a GBH portrait. Personally I like the end result, but I realize I've tried to mix oil and water and that doesn't produce perfect images.

I wish I could come to the picnic but it just isn't possible. I hope a lot of folks show up and you have a great time!

Gordon

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

I really can't tell you. I never saw this guy make a catch, but he frequently retreated behind some trees where I couldn't see him. He might have had a four course meal back there - I just don't know.

Gordon