Great Blue Heron!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bob & Nan!!

Welcome to the new Nikoncafe forum!! We are going to have so much fun here, and you guys are the perfect forum members. :lol:

Lets shoot and post!!

Regards,

Frank

Re: Hey guys!

Ron Reznick said:
New forum, eh? Cool...

I hope this takes off. Looks like a great place for a little conversation.
<image removed>

Ron
Ron, I think you should use a cropped version of that seal pic as your avatar...

:)

Well....

Backdoctor said:
8) OK, lets try it on this one.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
As much as I *hate* to admit it Harris, great shot. :lol:

Regards,

Frank

Of course, there is this portrait:

Re: First Reply

bobhoge said:
Thanks to Harris for inviting me to this site.

Since Ron Reznick (who I have not met) posted a non-bird photo, I will try to insert one here.
Images Snipped...
This is the adult male, not a youngster like Ron's, all 8000 pounds of him.

He has not been to the dentist lately:

Enjoy,
Bob
Bob, where were you when you shot these? Now that I see Ron's and yours I am going to have to dig mine out, all film from the way-back days and scan a couple in for you. Pretty awesome being that close to them isn't it? The time I spent we witnessed almost a dozen births, a real sight to see, and the females are so incredibly protective. Males are fairly docile, left us alone, but the females, had to run a few times.....

Good stuff.

Welcome, nice to meet you.

Hi Ron....

Good Morning Ron....

Here I sit at 6:30 in the morning feeling like crap with the flue and I've got to tell you....

That picture just absolutely made my day :D

Thanks!

JF

GBH from MA

You guys seem to have far better luck at capturing GBH's than I do here in MA as they are incredibly reclusive and spooky up here.

This one was shot the day before Thanksgiving and it's the latest one I've seen in my neck of the woods. It was 17 degrees outside which I why it didn't fly away I think..it was hibernating standing up or something!

OK Guys / gals...what am I missing in my image thread that's precluding me from being displayed?

Sorry for being so brain dead!

By the way...can anyone fill me in as to where the film goes in this here D2H camera thingy?

jfenton said:
OK Guys / gals...what am I missing in my image thread that's precluding me from being displayed?

Sorry for being so brain dead!

By the way...can anyone fill me in as to where the film goes in this here D2H camera thingy?
The film door, remember this is APS so finding it (film) may not be easy, goes in through the front on the D2H. Remove the lens, go to Custom Menu Bank 12, Option 42 and set "lock it up and insert film" in the settings. This will bypass the sensor directly but the camera is so smart that it will still do previews, although they may be a bit slow as the film has to index back and forth in this mode. Two gotchas. You need to insert the "substitute CF card" plastic thingy that came in your D2H box, I hope you didn't lose it. Secondly, you can only remove the film in a dark-bag or a darkroom. You didn't get rid of you changing bag when you went digital did you? I'll let you off, since you have the flue, and not just say RTFM.

As to the image, I don't know about pbase linking, but I have found issues with the img tags in another forum if what I am trying to link does not have a .jpg extension. That is why I always do a "preview" before submitting an image.

Just like this:

What I did was to access your image via the link you posted, looked at properties to find:
http://jja.image.pbase.com/u22/soonipi1957/large/36741304.THeron1.jpg and pasted that within the img tag.

Hope this all helps, at 6:00AM or so my time....

Now THAT is really strange...

I did a preview with Jim's image linked in my last post and it showed up. Now I see the "dreaded pbase red X". pbase guru's what's the deal?

Oh never mind, I just looked and it is now showing up. Vagaries of pbase I guess, I'm glad I don't use it.

Pbase is ******* me off! (Can we say "*******" in this new forum?

I don't know if I'm simply not inserting the link correctly here to my image of if this is just pbase crap still happening. I may have to take a trip over to the smugmug side of the fence....

A

Anonymous

Jim, if you go to smugmug, give them my email....

If you give them my email, you will get a discount and I will get a referral. :p

Frank

Better yet....

kiss off pbase, smugmug and the rest and do what I do, do it yourself. The software I am currently using, gallery.menalto.com, is Open Source Free ware. I have been working with it for a couple of weeks now and really like how easy it is to customize. If you already have a domain and hosting you just need it to support php, which this host obviously does :wink: .

Take a look, you may never go back. It is very customizable, I have just found the bits to prevent "right-click-save" operations. It can automatically watermark, does multiple resizing, yada-yada-yada.....

Best of all, no stinkin' red X......

jfenton said:
Pbase is ******* me off! (Can we say "*******" in this new forum?

I don't know if I'm simply not inserting the link correctly here to my image of if this is just pbase crap still happening. I may have to take a trip over to the smugmug side of the fence....
Jim, if you would like, send me your image and I will post it in an album for you on my site. I see that the red X is back again.

Elephant Seals

Attn Bill Dewey,

The two Elephant Seal photos were taken in November 2003 on the island of South Georgia in the Southern Ocean, about 1000 miles east of the tip of South America. At that time of year it is supposed to have the highest concentration of wildlife anywhere in the world! It is spectacular!
King Penguins:

The females had just stopped feeding the pups, leaving the beach full of "weiners". That meant that the females were back to breeding, and the males were working their way through their harems of 30 or so. By the time we got there they were fairly tired out, so you could get quite close!
Tired but happy:

I'm pretty sure that my wife Nan took the first one, since I had to pry the D-100 from her hands to get to use it. I got stuck with the 995 (2nd one) most of the time.

Glad you liked them.
Bob

Re: First Reply

Bob,
Those images are perfect for the way I felt at work today.. Wish I could have yelled that loud in frustration, without getting fired...

Good shots. Especially the second one. That is how I felt today.

Would have loved to put that on the bosses desk.. He would have laughed, because he knew how frustrated I was at a few incidencs today.

Thanks
Gale

Good idea..
Would be fun to bring back some of the first posts. lolol
We have always had fun here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom