Great Blue Herons

I had kind of gotten tired of taking pictures of GBHs as they're so common around here. While I was at Viera this weekend, this one let me get particularly close. Anyone who has been there will probably recognize the old familiar drainage pipe. ;) Anyway, I figured what the heck and shot a ton of shots of them. They really are pretty birds.

072405GBH.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And of course a couple of flight shots. Look how low he was flying!
072405GBH1.jpg

And a sky shot
072405GBH2.jpg

They weren't really out in the water feeding so no chance of getting a "flip" shot! :)

Must be tough taking pictures day after day of these guys. LMAO............no worries, Im just jealous. Nice series!! Luv the DOF in the first one, cool

I see the mayor of Viera is back on his customary perch. I have a hard time getting bored with these guys. They are so beautiful and they are so graceful in the air. I love shooting them.

Ahhh the mayor of Viera for sure. He sure is gorgeous.

Did you have to chase him to fly.. He will sit forever..

Great shots Kevin....

Keith, I think sometimes that's why it becomes old hat having them around in abundance to shoot.

I agree, Frank. They are graceful flyers. The ones there that day were awful squawky, too.

Gale, I forgot, he's the Mayor, not Governor! I didn't have to chase. He slowly walked up one side of the berm and down the other then back again. The one in the 2nd shot is the same as the posed - see the stupid feather in his beak? I wanted to walk up to him and remove it, then shoot. ;)

G

Gordon Large

Hey Kevin -

Too bad you have so many GBHs down there to shoot. :evil: Too bad you can go to Viera every day. :evil: :evil:

OK, that's out of my system! :) Great shots. I expecially like the last one. Keep shooting GBHs. Beautiful birds - can't have too many of them.

Gordon

Hey Gordon,
Yeah, you're right. I just admitted to needing an attitude adjustment in Mike Mac's post. I guess it's all what you're used to. People who live near mountains take them for granted, etc, etc. I'll try to keep my whining down to a minimum. ;)

You're right about them being beautiful birds.

Thanks Gordon!

Gilles, I can highly recommend the 300/f4 AFS. It's reasonably priced, easy to handhold, very fast focusing and reasonably fast. There's always the f2.8 but that changes everything. With the f4, the quality is still good with a teleconverter. I love mine!

Latest threads

Top Bottom