Great Crested Grebe Family

P

photogramps

Another of my favourite birds, this week is the first time I've managed to get a pair of Great Crested Grebes 'carrying' chicks ... the adults are such majestic birds and the chicks quite amusing :)

Nikon D7200 + 500 f4 + TC 1.7EII

Togetherness.

View attachment 1469061
Togetherness by Roger, on Flickr

There's only one way to travel!

View attachment 1469063
There's only one way to travel! by Roger, on Flickr

Faster dad, faster!

View attachment 1469066
Faster dad, faster! by Roger, on Flickr

He'll never get that down mum!

View attachment 1469068 He'll never get that down mum! by Roger, on Flickr

OMG!! Can I come over and see??????

These are great, and to think I was happy last year with 1 Pied Billed Grebe baby on back. Wow!

Can you tell us more of the story of "where and how"? Have you been watching this pair since nesting?

Again, WOW!!!!!

P

photogramps

Spectacular work Roger, some of the very best Grebe shots I've seen.
Thanks Louis, I really appreciate your comments :)

These are great, and to think I was happy last year with 1 Pied Billed Grebe baby on back. Wow!

Can you tell us more of the story of "where and how"? Have you been watching this pair since nesting?

Again, WOW!!!!!
Thanks Bill, for two years I have been watching pairs at various locations local to me and each time they have either failed to produce young, or I have missed the critical timing due to being away on holiday. At this new location (Somerset Levels in southwest UK) I have been watching three pairs from time to time (bit further away from home) and only this past week came across this family group on a remote part of the reserve. I was so delighted to see them with the chicks on their backs, it was certainly worth the wait and the time spent finding them ... quite beautiful birds :)

Excellent. I would like to see these!
Thanks Allan, they are fascinating to watch and excellent parents :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom