Great day on the water

So after about 4 years I finally got my fiancee back on the water in her kayak. She and I had a great time. We came across a single Loon out in the open water, and she let us get pretty close to her. As I was photographing my fiancee moved away, and I was drifting closer to the Loon, still she did not flee, and, she let me drift to within about a boat's length of her (my kayak is 14' long). Below are the best shots of the several frames I took. These were all taken with my D7000 and my Tokina 300mm f/4. Settings were f/8 at ISO 400, and shutter speeds ranged from 1/1000 to 1/1600. As always C&C welcomed.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. Heavy crop of no. 4

6. Splashing around

8. And of course a shot of my significant other in her kayak.

After I got done with the Loon we paddled around this large island in the center of the reservoir, and we spotted a Bald Eagle fly over our heads. I unfortunately couldn't get a shot of it as by the time I noticed it, I wouldn't have had enough time to get the camera ready, plus turn my kayak around. However I now know that they reside there, and this reservoir is only a few minutes drive from my house, so I will be on the lookout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Luis Casals
Very cool shots and sharp. I wished you could have taken some shots of the full bird.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom