1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Great Deal at Fry's Electronics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze2, Sep 4, 2008.

1. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I went into Fry's today to purchase an external Hard Drive to backup my pictures and videos. Their price for the superb Seagate 750 GB FreeAgent Pro is $199.95 and I thought that was an excellent price. But when I went to check out I discovered that it is on sale and the actual price was $129.95! This is a great HD that is PC & MAC compatible and accepts FireWire 400, USB 2.0, and eSATA connections. If you are in the market for a backup HD this is a steal.

2. geez. 750GB HDs are only $130 now? man, last year i purchased a 160GB HD for $130 :( 

3. Make sure the casing is adequately ventilated. Some cases will have failure if they overheat. Seagate makes good stuff though, so I'm guessing it should be well designed! Good buy, I might have to pick up two myself!

4. JimCo

JimCo

Feb 16, 2006
    Sublimity, Oregon
    Mine Was Bad

I picked one up at Costco a while back. It would not work with the eSata connection (the reason I bought it). After my research revealed it wa a common problem with these drives, something about the eSata connection being faulty, I took it back.

Hopefully Seagate has corrected this problem...

5. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
  6. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Feb 10, 2007
    NW Ohio
    One terabyte Seagate Barracuda $149.99 @ tigerdirect.com. Item#TSD-1000AS
    SOLD OUT already

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  7. I once bought a great deal on a drive from Frye's in the Chicago area. Reading the fine print when I got home in Washington DC I found it had been re-manufactured and lasted 60 days before giving up the ghost again. I tossed it. Look carefully on the box to make sure the deal may be too good to be true.

8. Personally I would stick with Western Digital Drives...

Seagate bought out Maxtor and rumor is they are sticking Seagate tags on maxtor drives...

9. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    great deal, i also usually stick wiht the WD drives, had great luck with them my whole time building comps.

10. I got a WD USB 750GB drive from BestBuy for $129.95 a two or three months ago. It has been fine so far.

11. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    Seagate has a 5 year warranty and a history of good reliability. WD on the other hand only has a 1 year warranty, and many are complaining about their 'mybook' line of hard drives failing prematurely.

12. I have one Seagate freeagent 500 for my mac. Does anyone know if I get another do I just run another USB and the mac treats them as independent devices?

13. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    This HD is brand new and runs flawlessly with the eSATA connection. My desktop computer has a Seagate 300 HD to store programs and 3 internal Seagate 750's in a raid-5 configuration for data storage. It has run perfectly from day one. The Seagate 5-year warranty is second to none and it is the only drive I'll put in my computer.

14. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    You can get a new Seagate 1.5TB drive from buy.com (sold out, but you can still order...) for $199.99. I'm waiting for Hitachi to come out with >=1.5TB drives, not so sure about Seagate anymore these days. Anyway right now you can get your hands on 1.5TB for $199... Not bad!

15. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    i bought the non-pro version for $120 a few months ago at fry's. what was funny was the 500GB version was going for $150!

i'm waiting for the 1TB to drop to $130 or so as i've already run out of space on the 750.

ricky

16. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I stick with WD drives and 16mb cache 7200 RPM drives. There are many many 8s sold, so you really have to pay attention to what your getting. I got a 500 gb WD 16 cache for 75.00 recently, strangely Tiger D is not even showing it now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.