Great deal on ebay for 300mm....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by J.Alan, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Always lusting and looking....300mm f/2.8 AF Nikkor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-300mm-f-2...yZ106862QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-300mm-f-2...yZ106862QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FUNNY, yesterday, this exact same lens and listing was up, but by another seller. When I asked a few questions, like :

Can you please tell me the serial number on this lens?

Is there any dust or fungus on the glass?

How about marks, scratches, or other defects in either the glass or body?

Does this lens operate as it should?

Is focus smooth and accurate?

Does the aperture and setting ring function well?

There was no seller response, and the item was withdrawn.

Must be hard questions.

2. Yes, I no longer even visit EBay anymore. My experience is one scammer after another frankly.

3. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    I agree...eBay has become an awful big risk...

...did you notice that the listings you posted are now down also?? I think I'd be hard pressed to buy used online except here or KEH.

4. I am very cautious

about ebay, as the chance os scams is high. It is really disappointing that that lens is a scam. :mad: 

5. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    If you follow a few simple rules it massively reduces your risk of being defrauded on eBay: only deal with reputable sellers and always use your credit card to pay through PayPal.

6. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    There have been many postings like this but they're relatively easy to spot. Seems too good a deal, they require you to contact them prior to bidding, and the pictures are from other listings. Saw a 300-800mm sigma for $1500 once, from London. Right.
    For me, ebay is too big to ignore, though I find it more pleasant to sell here or on other enthusiast sites.
    Dave

7. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Remember, if it looks to good to be true it is.
    How many people around the world do you think are looking everyday for a 300mm Nikon? That you're the only one to find and bid on it means everyone else has spotted it as a fraud !!! As Dave says above, if you have to contact them via email rather than through eBay's contact system it's a scam!!!
    On the other hand though, all my glass has come from eBay bar my 300mm which I got from Nikonians.org but I am always careful :smile:

8. cadman

cadman

Dec 4, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    absolutely correct weiran!

Only Paypal, Only high reseller ratings, Only with a real credit card (not debit)!

9. Yes, the "contact through email prior to bidding" is a classic hallmark of a hijacked account. A scammer has hijacked someone else's account and the person is unaware. These sales usually have 1-2 day times on them. The reason that they use the "email me" routine is to keep the person unaware that something is going on with their account. I always report such auctions to Ebay.

10. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    When I find one of these, I always send an inquiry through the eBay system asking if they really are selling one. Item usually is down shortly thereafter.

11. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Stay away from eBay if you plan on purchasing anything rather expensive. Scams run amuck there.

12. It is certainly buyer beware

and one had better research the purchase carefully before making any offers.
    In this case, the deal was just too good to be true... and it was fairly obvious. I had reported this item to ebay before posting here, so, hopefully, they have had luck in either tracking down the seller, or preventing the item from making a reappearance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.