Great Egret - a different look

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jose Suro, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Hi All,

After my shoot with Jonathan I concluded that I was getting to many OOF shots so I tested the new lens (200~400) extensively for the last two days. I finished that last night and figured out that the lens is fine. The culprit is my tripod being to small and it induces vibrations that take 5-seconds to damp! :smile:. Oh well, another expense in the near horizon, jeez.

Here's a couple of shots from last evening when I was testing the lens shooting from my car. A very cloudy one at that. Shot wide open at F4

Thanks for looking.

Best,

Jose

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nice shots Jose

I'd say you had them coming at you!!!

3. Very nice. Love the head on view.

4. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    What a bummer jose:/ I am glad you figured it out though. I will say those new gitzo's are really tempting me!

5. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Beautiful shot of the egret, Jose. Could it be the lens collar and foot rather than the tripod? Also, what kind of tripod set-up are you using?

6. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I love the mood of the first image. Very nice!

7. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    I love that perspective Jose. Nice work as always.

8. The first one is amazing, excellent work.

9. Jose if your useing tripod why not turn the VR off. I use a monopod with my 500+a 1.4 and I keep my IS on all the time but I know from tying a 2 to 400/4 back when it first came out on a 200d I could see I would need a pretty good size tripod but I do believe you should be able to use this lens with a monpod as many sports shooters do cause in a lot of cases tripods are not allowed. I got a bogen gimble head for my 500 and it handels it fine. I also use a Wimberly full head on a wooden surveyors tripod for my Sigma 800MM and that works fine also. The bogen should handel your 2 to 4 with no trouble as my buddy has his Nikon 600 on one when we go in the field and it is about $175.00 for one head and QR plate.
    Lou

10. hey buddy.. great shot!

I use a cheapo manfrotto, and the grip head 222.. junk, but it works when I need it to.. leave the VR on while on a tripod.. also, hold the shutter button down so the VR has a chance to get going (if you have time).

There are lots of tricks in using this lens, and it takes practice, and a good set up of all the auto focus settings, and everything else.

give it time bud.

11. Thanks for the comments All! Much appreciatted!

Best,

Jose

12. Thanks Jonathan, I'm looking at the 3350 - I think that's the number. It's the replacement for the 1325.

Best,

Jose

13. Thanks Baxter, I'm using the 6x 1257. It works great with the 300/F4 but the 2 to 400 is too much fo it. It gets a harmonic vibration that takes about 5-seconds to damp. I don't thing VR is made to handle that.

Best,

Jose

14. Hi Lou,

I spent two days testing every combination possible and the results on the tripod are hit and miss with every setting except with the mirror up and remote - works fine that way. My best results for birds are VR on and the lens supported on foam on top of my car window. Handheld and monopod also work very well with VR on, all the way down to 1/125 second! The tripod I'm using has a harmonic vibration that wont damp out and I think the VR system can't cope with that.

Thanks again,

Jose

15. Thanks Buddy! It's a touchy lens for sure. When it is sharp it is really sharp. My tripod is vibrating. When I tap the camera on its side without holding it I can see the front of the lens rapidly oscillating as much as an eighth of an inch and it does this for for quite a long time. I don't think VR handles this well and no VR definitely does not. If I use it with the ball head very loose it works better, but for stationary shots it's hit an miss.

I'll contact you via e-mail and chack out you settings!

Best,

Jose

16. wow on #1...very cool !