1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Great Falls MT & Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Minuteman3, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM.

1. Over the 4th of July weekend, Lulu and I went to Great Falls, Montana, and enjoyed a couple of baseball games featuring our good friend, Sammy Abbott. Of course, Great Falls also holds a special place in my heart as nearby Malmstrom AFB was my first assignment in the USAF, back in 1972!!

On the way home, we spent a couple of days in Glacier National Park. Weather was off and on, but the park is still breathtaking.

Although the "great falls" described by Lewis & Clark have been covered up by some dams, there's still a couple of areas that remain visible as the Missouri River passes through the city.
    Montana 2019-370.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Interesting, the grassy area on the far side of the river used to be a giant copper processing smelter. It's been cleaned up ... and now sports a golf course!
    Montana 2019-393.jpg

Away from the mountains, Montana has a lot of rich farm and ranch land. (It also houses 150 ICBM silos and 15 underground control centers where I used to work as a launch crew commander!!)
    Montana 2019-409.jpg

Glacier National Park
    Montana 2019-789_DxO.jpg

I don't know what these flowers are, but they were certainly visible along the trails!!
    Montana 2019-581.jpg

We took a trail hike from Many Glacier Lodge, and came across some nice falls. Of course, I didn't have my tripod ... but think this worked pretty well for hand held!!
    Montana 2019-534.jpg

Logan Pass was really crowded and it was hard to find an angle without a bunch of people in the way.
    Montana 2019-952_AuroraHDR2019-edit.jpg

Lake St Mary's Wild Goose Island lookout.
    untitled-706_AuroraHDR2019-edit.jpg

Concerning the park, we found it fun but there's some issues that future visitors should be aware of. First, there's a LOT of bare trees from the massive fires a couple of years ago. Vast sections of the hillsides are all burned out and it's rather difficult to get an angle that avoids these areas. The Going-to-the-Sun-Road seemed in good shape and had recently been repaved. But the road leading into Many Glacier is terrible!! There were potholes galore and several areas that had been washed out and patched. Once inside the Park boundaries it improved, but I was really glad to have a 4x4 truck on the access road from Babb, MT!!

If you have any questions about visiting the park, shoot me a message or comment below and I'll try to add whatever I can. Fair warning ... we are NOT backpackers so our "trail" time is pretty limited to the easiest access from parking lots!!

Ken

• Like Like x 1
  2. Beargrass.

Great series Ken. Always fun to return to your old stomping grounds, isn't it? I spent several years working outside of GNP in the late 70s. Never tire of the scenery, but can no longer handle the crowds.
    Thanks for sharing these.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Great set of photos, I never tire of seeing photos of Glacier. Local news here is reporting big delays on the Going to the Sun road due to a chip and seal project.

4. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    GREAT place, Great shots

5. In spite of all the fire damage, you got some wonderful shots!

6. Great series Ken. Like Nick said, Beargrass. Starting to come out for the season at Mt. Rainier.

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Nice write up Ken, with good images, thanks for sharing!

8. Very nice series. GNP is a beautiful place and you captured it well.

9. Loved your photos and commentary!

10. There was some of that on the East side when we headed over the pass. A big section was already done.

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Thanks, it was actually tough to find good angles. The fires must have been horrendous at the time!

I don't ever remember these at Mt Rainier, I'll be on the lookout next time we head up!!

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.