1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Great find in the family garage :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaytron, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    I was digging through the family garage (storage) and I stumbled across a camera bag! Excited I peeked inside and discovered an old Canon AE-1. So I cleaned it up a bit and snapped some pictures. It looks like it comes with an Alibinar 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 so I'm going to try and pick up an old FD mount 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 for super cheap. ANYHOW, enough talk! Here's some pictures!

DSC_1988.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_1993.jpg

DSC_1998.jpg

DSC_2001.jpg

DSC_2003.jpg

P.S. Anyone know where I can find batteries for this or even what kind it uses?

2. gladjo

gladjo Guest

I used to have two of those guys. Good camera's. Great find.

3. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Nice find!

Per Ken's site: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/fd/ae-1-program.htm

Power

One A544 6V battery, also known as 4LR44, 544, PX28, PX28L and 4SR44.

Alkaline and lithium versions all work great.

Battery Check: Press the black button by the rewind crank and serial number. 6 beeps per second is good, three beeps per second is low.

4. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks Steve, looks like I'm getting 1 faint beep.. lol

5. OMG---the devils picture on NC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quick get the garlic!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :biggrin::biggrin:

6. Solid find.

7. I've got one sitting in my living room, I get my batteries on eBay for all my film cameras. It's a classic, I had two of them (not at the same time).

8. The battery sometimes is also called a 4-G13 or 4G13. If you can't find it you can stack 4 SR44, G13, or S76 batteries. You can usually find those at the local drug store or grocery store - they're very common.

9. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    LOL Nick :) 

I'm stoked! Now to find a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 for it.. Doesn't look like they're very expensive seeing how the FD mount lenses are rarely used

I'm not even sure where to begin! Everything is manual :)  I think I'll have some fun with this. Now debating on weather to shoot B&W or color.

Sweet, thanks for the tip Scott

10. That's actually an AE-1P (P = Program). My Dad had one of these, I loved trying it out, and it's what got me into photography. :smile: In '84, I bought an A-1 .... still have it around somewhere.

11. Your right, didn't see the Program under the AE-1, therefore, I lied. I only had one AE-1 Program, I was telling the truth about having one in my living room. :biggrin:

12. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Oops, didn't know there was a difference :) 

13. nephets0

nephets0

Jul 29, 2009
    Tulsa Oklahoma
    get it cleaned up and run some film through it and let us see what its got!

14. Great find Jay! if you sell that man, youll defintely have enough for the D300 :biggrin: but id keep it if i were you

15. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Nice! Now be sure to visit APUG get sucked back into the world of film with the rest of us!

16. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Link!

Sweet, I got some A544 Batteries! Looks like they're trying to liquidate stock because they were 50% off. I'm not sure how long the battery lasts so I bought 4 of them.. lol.

And B&W and Color film you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.