Great Horned owl chicks - update (6 img)

Today I went and see how the two Great Horned owl chicks were doing.
They had grown some more and the down is slowly being replaced by feathers.
To my surprise, one of them is venturing out from the nest onto a branch.
They also stretched their wings a few times. I think they'll start flapping them soon and before you know it they'll practice flying.
Whenever I get into the vicinity of the nest, the parents take off. I can see them in a tree at a good distance looking at me - too far to take any images of them.

All: D2x, Nikkor Ai 400mm f/3.5 + TC-14E or TC-201

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 96591

View attachment 96592

View attachment 96593

View attachment 96594

View attachment 96595

They look they are ready to go out and hunt on their own already, pretty big already for "little fellas" , nice series of shots. - Jeff

Fritz, The photos look great but what you are discribing about the parents going off to a roost tree away from the nest is a good indication you are disturbing them most likely by getting to close. Please don't be offended by my comment just trying to keep people informed about nesting raptors in case they don't realize it. This law applies to the USA only and not your home in Canada.
Lou

Fritz, The photos look great but what you are discribing about the parents going off to a roost tree away from the nest is a good indication you are disturbing them most likely by getting to close. Please don't be offended by my comment just trying to keep people informed about nesting raptors in case they don't realize it. This law applies to the USA only and not your home in Canada.
Lou
I appreciate your comment Lou and it is a very valid one.
This nest is in the woods behind one of the greens at my golf course.
When I go and shoot images, I stay just behind the green without setting even a foot in the woods. So, where I am is no closer then the ongoing traffic of golfers that go through there. Sometimes one of the parents is there and I think that someone staying around is what causes them to move away some.
(Note that these are with a 400mm + TC 1.4 or TC 2.0 for the reason that I keep at a distance).

This is an older shot looking at the green behind which they are. I position myself just behind the green, but before the trees.

original.gif

Fritz,

Wonderful shots. I've never seen GHO chicks before and your captures are just excellent.

God bless.
Doug

I appreciate your comment Lou and it is a very valid one.
This nest is in the woods behind one of the greens at my golf course.
When I go and shoot images, I stay just behind the green without setting even a foot in the woods. So, where I am is no closer then the ongoing traffic of golfers that go through there. Sometimes one of the parents is there and I think that someone staying around is what causes them to move away some.
(Note that these are with a 400mm + TC 1.4 or TC 2.0 for the reason that I keep at a distance).

This is an older shot looking at the green behind which they are. I position myself just behind the green, but before the trees.

original.gif

Isen't that something. The places raptors will build a nest. Funny about the golf course but back in 2005 we had a rehabbed young female eagle that was stuck in between two branches on a golf course and it was some golfers that called for help and that bird was rehabbed and released in June 2005.
Thanks for the photo and I think I might like being there as it is a nice looking course.
Lou

My favourite is the first one for the peekaboo effect :smile:. These are terrific, Frits. Not a bad day at golf, fore sure! :wink: How do you carry all your camera gear in your golf bag????? :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom