Great Horned owl newborns

In the woods near where I live I found a nest of Great Horned owls. There were 2 newborns in the nest.
Taken from a fair distance...

D2x, Nikkor Ai 400mm f/3.5 + TC-201
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The following 3: D2x, Nikkor Ai 400mm f/3.5 + TC-14E

One of the parents shot through the branches at quite a long distance - wary of my presence. A poor shot, but I'll be back...:smile:

Hey Frits -

As some of us down here would say - "What a lucky dog you are!" to be able to witness, let alone photograph, these amazing creatures.

If you're not familiar with it, that slang is complimentary, BTW - LOL . . .

I love owls (although I don't see them nearly often enough), and my wife's grandmother's name was Athena.

Very well done, and thanks for sharing them -

Eric

Very nice shots Frits. I had the good fortune to photograph some Great Horned and their chicks last year, so I'm hoping to find them again. Usually the Owls are only out at night, but with extra mouths to feed they have to hunt longer into the mornings.

Thanks all!
I just received my Ai 400mm on Friday and it was nice to "catch something" its first weekend.
This was actually at my golf course. I have been checking this pretty large nest since a few years (falcons have occupied it some years ago). While playing on Saturday I noticed the owls and went back to shoot these on Sunday.
Unfortunately it is in some fairly dense shaded woods. I shot at low shutter speed and some fairly aggressive PS "Shadows & Highlights" was needed. This degraded the images somewhat, but nice nevertheless.
Maybe I'll yet turn into a "birder" :smile:

Well done Frits. We went looking for owls Saturday morning. Did lots of walking but never found one. I envy you to have these so close to home.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
nice work Frits, good to see that you have a nest to visit with your new toy!

Keep up the good work.

Wade

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom