Great Horned owl newborns

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Frits, May 13, 2007.

1. In the woods near where I live I found a nest of Great Horned owls. There were 2 newborns in the nest.
    Taken from a fair distance...

D2x, Nikkor Ai 400mm f/3.5 + TC-201
    original.

The following 3: D2x, Nikkor Ai 400mm f/3.5 + TC-14E

original.

original.

One of the parents shot through the branches at quite a long distance - wary of my presence. A poor shot, but I'll be back...:smile:

original.

2. Cute, They almost look to big for the nest. Nice Capture Frits

3. Hey Frits -

As some of us down here would say - "What a lucky dog you are!" to be able to witness, let alone photograph, these amazing creatures.

If you're not familiar with it, that slang is complimentary, BTW - LOL . . .

I love owls (although I don't see them nearly often enough), and my wife's grandmother's name was Athena.

Very well done, and thanks for sharing them -

Eric

4. Beautiful and fortunate shots! I've been able to photograph nesting adults, but never ones so young. Some day.... Thanks for sharing these!

5. Very nice shots Frits. I had the good fortune to photograph some Great Horned and their chicks last year, so I'm hoping to find them again. Usually the Owls are only out at night, but with extra mouths to feed they have to hunt longer into the mornings.

6. Well Frits! Guess I'm gonna have to walk to Canada! I have yet to see an owl in the wild! Love the one of the baby yawning - priceless! Great photos all of them!

7. They are adorable!!! So fuzzy, ya want to give 'em a hug.

I hope you'll keep us updated with their growth! :smile:

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Cute alert:>))
    Nice shots
    Great find

9. an outstanding opportunitty well captured. Way to go Frits

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Cute shots Frits. :smile:

11. Very nice catch...fur balls :)

Anthony

12. Thanks all!
    I just received my Ai 400mm on Friday and it was nice to "catch something" its first weekend.
    This was actually at my golf course. I have been checking this pretty large nest since a few years (falcons have occupied it some years ago). While playing on Saturday I noticed the owls and went back to shoot these on Sunday.
    Unfortunately it is in some fairly dense shaded woods. I shot at low shutter speed and some fairly aggressive PS "Shadows & Highlights" was needed. This degraded the images somewhat, but nice nevertheless.
    Maybe I'll yet turn into a "birder" :smile:

13. Very nice captures with your new lens.

14. Always a pleasure. You have some neat ideas and gear..... You need to organize a "shoot" in your area sometime.

15. Very nice. A very nice birdie! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Paul C

16. I would have preferred an Eagle, but.....:smile: (couldn't resist either LOL).

17. Frits Great captures you must have been thrilled to find these guys

18. #3 is great - one tired little bird up there and it appears its sibling has already "crashed and burned". Mom or Dad is sure giving you "the look".

Wonderful shots, all.

19. Well done Frits. We went looking for owls Saturday morning. Did lots of walking but never found one. I envy you to have these so close to home.

20. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    nice work Frits, good to see that you have a nest to visit with your new toy!

Keep up the good work.

Wade