GREAT new raw converter

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by JC, Mar 22, 2005.

1. JC

JC

Jan 27, 2005
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I've been using a great new raw converter called Raw Shooter Essentials from Pixmantec. The company was founded by the person who did most of the tech work for Capture One and a former officer of Phase One. The program is fast and intuitive, and it is free (for now, at least). At the moment, it has "preliminary support" for the D2x, as it supposedly does not display the D2x "As Shot" white balance perfectly. (It seems OK to my untrained eyes.) It fully supports the D2H and D100. I used it for the D2H bird shot I posted from Merritt and for the wildflower shots in Landscape and D2xtasy forums. It is still being improved, and IMVHO, it will take off for all raw formats.

Check it out at www.pixmantec.com and read what others say on Rob Galbraith's site. (As we would say on the bad site, to avoid being banned by Phil, I have no connection with the company or the principals.)

Joel

2. Check out the other threads on RSE in this forum. It is promising software.

3. Bull's balls, it's only for PC! :(:p:(

Why no mac support, why? More than half the photo press agencies use macs, hello?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    RSE is now part of Paintshop Pro 9/Corel :>)))))))

Check the Corel site. Version 1.01 I believe it is.

Cheers
    Gale

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Johathan,
    If part of corel, I am sure a MC version will come out.

Cheers

How ya feeling these days, any better. I sure hope so.

Gale

6. JC

JC

Jan 27, 2005
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Gale,

Pixmantec is not part of Corel. It is a separate company that has an arrangement with Corel that provides for RSE to be included, at least for now, in Paint Shop. Still, it is unlikely that a mac version would not be forthcoming.

Rory,

I did not see your thread from a month ago, probably because my initial search was for "raw shooter essentials." I just searched for "pixmantec" and did not find any others.

Joel

7. Joel, I've never tried RAW before, so this seemed like a good opportunity. A few questions, please.

Does this program require anything other than a pointer to a directory of RAW photos? You don't need to use Nikon Capture, too, do you?

I see it offers sharpening. Can it be done selectively, or do you have to hit the entire picture and increase the noise in the background?

I see a shadows slider. Is this anything like the shadows recovery porogram in Photoshop CS?

How do you rate its noise reduction as compared to Noise Ninja or Neat Image?

8. JC

JC

Jan 27, 2005
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Frank,

You don't need to use Nikon Capture. RSE replaces it in the workflow. Admittedly, there are some things Capture does that RSE doesn't, such as "de-fish" fisheye shots, but white balance adjustment, exposure compensation, and the like are available. RSE, as much as I like it, is still in a growth stage. It will continue to get better and offer more functionality to the point where you might not even need Photoshop. (But that's a ways down the line.)

AFAIK, the sharpening is global. But it isn't drastic, by any means. I've tried a little bit to offset (as Ron Reznick says) the low pass filter's effect in front of the camera's sensor. It also has detail extraction, which seems to be more of edge sharpening; but frankly the effect has been too subtle in my D2x shots for me to really know. In any event, I usually use USM as the last step before printing, after I have sized the photo. (But no one would confuse me with a processing expert like Ron is.)

The shadows slider that you're referring to is for contrast in the shadows. The equivalent to shadow recovery would be the "fill light." That is the adjustment that opens the shadows, and it gives a lot of flexibility. Then you can adjust the contrast in the shadows and highlights separately.

Finally, at this point, I don't think RSE's noise reduction is meant to replace Noise Ninja or Neat Image. I also believe that the RSE creators intend to do so in the near future. I haven't had to use noise reduction because I shoot almost entirely at ISO 100, and when I've gone higher, the D2x has done well, even at 800. I have not shot the D2x at HI-1 or HI-2.

I hope I've helped at least a little. (Especially since I absolutely love your hummer shots, Frank.) Others who have tried the program, such as Rory, can chime in, as well. I'm still a relative novice, but hoping to learn, also.

Regards,

Joel

9. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    I like it...

and there is a new update as of today.

Its learning curve is OK, too.

FAST!!