GREAT NEWS/and a big thank you.

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Chris C, Oct 16, 2005.

1. As some may remember my latest woes, I lost 130 important (to me) images recently. Many members of this wonderful forum helped to try and retrieve my images with both suggestions, and in one case, a lot of personal time. Unfortunately, nothing seemed sucessful. But one member tipped me off to Lexar's Image Rescue 2 program. I contacted Lexar and they e-mailed me a copy. Of course, the great news is that I retrieved all of my lost images. All 130 of them! What a wonderful bunch you have been, and especially our Patrick Bramlett! I hope all who have a similar problem will try the Image Rescue 2 program. What a life saver.

2. Wow, congratulations Chris!! Thank you for sharing the experience here in the Cafe, I am sure it will serve someone someday.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Now that is really great news...

Very happy for you.. Good job and glad you hung in there.

4. marsh

marsh

Aug 11, 2005
    Tennessee, USA
    Glad you were able to save them.

Any good ones to post?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Did you get them off of the Compact Flash card?

Thats Great!!!!!!

6. Yes, Patrick. Marsh, here on the forum, tipped me off to the fact they might still be retrievable by using Lexar's Image Rescue 2 program. I contacted Lexar to discuss it with them and they e-mailed me the program with no further comment, and at no charge, I might add. I couldn't be any more tickled. I got everyone of them back and everything seems to be just fine. I think every digital photographer needs to have this program on their computer. I highly recommend it.

7. Oh Marsh, I'm certainly not ready to start sharing digital photos on the site yet. I'm using an old 35/70 3.3/4.5 AF Nikkor and a 70/210 1.4/5.6 AF Nikkor. Hardly the kind of glass to stand up to the scrutiny of all you "up to date" digital photographers. I'm just playing at this stage of the game. (now if someone wanted to let me adopt their old 70/200 VR........................ :smile: )

8. Patrick,

I need to correct my statement. Actually, about 15 of them came up with multicolored stripes and are unusuable. But I'm certainly not complaining. I was so upset when I lost them. At least I've gotten the majority of them back and won't have to disappoint the friends and artists expecting images.

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thats great Chris. I'm so happy you were able to retrieve them, and way to go Marsh!

Come on, lets see some pics.

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

That's good news!

Will the Lexar Program, work on other CF cards too? If so, many could download it and use it for problems with their cards....

11. Chris, glad to hear the good news.

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    As far as I know, the Lexar recovery is just for Lexar cards. I don't even know if it works with all Lexars or just certain ones which come with the software. As a note, the Lexar cards that come with the Image Recovery Software are shipped with the software on the CF card. You have to off-load it BEFORE you format/use the card. You don't need to do it more than once if you buy several cards.

13. marsh

marsh

Aug 11, 2005
    Tennessee, USA
    The Lexar software has some additional utilities similar Windows hard drive tools (checkdisk, card info, etc.). I'll try to check tonight and see if Lexar's software works with a Sandisk card. It worked with an older Lexar cards (16x 512mb).

Sandisk has a similar image recovery tool that they included with Extreme and Extreme III cards on a mini cd. I don't recall what all Sandisk's software does. I'll try to check that, too.

14. Ken, here is what it says in the help section of the program:

Image Recovery searches for and saves “lost” image files on a CompactFlash card. Images can be retrieved even if your card becomes corrupted or images have been previously deleted, however, there is no guarantee any or all pictures will be recovered. This software will not recover images if there is a hardware error on the CompactFlash card. JPEG, TIFF and RAW file formats can be recovered no matter which operating system or digital device you have previously used your card in.

Can't tell you more than that. But I sure am glad it worked with mine!

15. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Great news. I think Sandisk supply something similar wiith their Extreme III cards.

16. Chris i used Rescue Pro from Sandisk and the results were about the same as yours, i got back all the pictures i was interrested in, and got a lot of pictures that look like there were 2 pictures on top of each other and some with color lines.

17. marsh

marsh

Aug 11, 2005
    Tennessee, USA
    Lexar Image Rescue S/W with Sandisk Ultra

I ran the Lexar software on a Sandisk card tonight (Ultra 512). The utilities all appear to work ok, including the image recovery utility. It does require a low level search in image recovery (takes forever) because the card isn't entirely recognized by the software, but the low level search is probably best anyway. So, the answer to Ken's question is yes, at least for Sandisk cards (don't have any others to try).

I couldn't find the Sandisk software cd. I'll try to check it and repost.

18. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Chris, congratulations, you must be so relieved now.