great price on gretag eye one

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fks, Jun 22, 2005.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    found this on techbargains.com:

J and R has the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 1 PC/Mac Monitor calibration and profiling tool on sale for $59.88, $5.95 shipping, Tax in NY.

i use the eye one and am satisfied with the results. note that i am partially red-green color blind though :?

disclaimer: my only affiliation with j&r is as a satisfied customer.

ricky

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Do you consider a calibration machine essential? I'm cb as well, and I can never tell with a visual/software calibrator if it's right.

3. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Wow, that's a reeeaaaally good price! I paild like $250 for mine. I'm partially R/G CB too.

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Chris, I *especially* consider calibration essential, since it's difficult for me to judge correct color, I have to trust machines to do it for me...

5. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Do you have any experience with this on LCDs? I'd like something to calibrate my powerbook, and I've heard mixed results from other calibration gear, but never heard anything about the Gretag. Otherwise this looks like a good deal.

6. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    I have the GretagMacbeth Eye-One Publish system (has the Eye-One and other software). It's the best out there as far as I am concerned. I also have a ColorVision Spyder. The Gretag is more accurate.

My 22" Apple Cinema Display (LCD) is calibrated to 2.0 Gamma (a compromise between normal Mac Gamma of 1.8 and PC Gamma of 2.2) and Native Whitepoint (which is very close to 6500K). Colors jump off of it and the greyscale is neutral from black to white.

For that price it's a steal. They have recently introduced a newer version...must be clearing out the old stock.

C

7. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    OK well I went ahead and ordered it.

Thanks for the heads up and the tips guys!

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi chris-

i tried the adobe gamma that comes with photoshop, but i had trouble with the green color bars in one of the steps. i gave up and paid $200 for my eye one. it's worth every penny; whenever i view a photo, the colors look so much better. i still have problems though with the green "back" arrow in IE.

hi gregory-

yup i agree with you, since we can't tell the difference we have to trust a machine to do it for us.

hi mf44-

i've calibrated my sony vaio and my princeton lcd and the colors look good and similar. the one drawback (and it's a windows problem) is when you have a two monitor setup, you need to switch between profiles. i use an lcd for browsing and a crt for photo editing, and i haven't found a way to assign a profile to each monitor. i don't have any experience with apples, so it might be a different situation.

hi cory-

what does the extra software in the publish system do? can you calibrate your printer?

ricky

9. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Ricky,

Yes, the Publish system includes the following:

-Eye-One Pro Spectrophotometer w/Ambient Light Head
    -Eye-One Match Calibration software/targets for: CRT & LCD displays, scanners, RGB & CMYK printers

I believe the new version is Eye-One Proof.

10. Well, another impulse buy. The wife is gonna kill me (but I'll tell her to be sure to sell my D2X here when she does). That was an incredible price. Thanks!

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wish I had seen this post sooner. I have an Eye One Display (first version) that I have no use for since I now use the Eye One Photo (wanted to be able to profile my printer too).

Anyway, the first person to email me at jeffkohn @ houston . rr . com can have it for the price of shipping (prefer paypal for convenience).

12. Jeff,

I am interested.

Sent you an email.

Mark.

13. Ricky,

Just ordered one as well.

Thanks for the "heads up".

-Larry

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Yeah, me too. I appreciate the info.

15. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi kevin, larry and frank-

no problem, always happy to share bargains like this. i'm bummed that i paid more than that when i got my eye-one :?

ricky

16. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Check the price of the package I bought (of course, I got a severe discount or I wouldn't have purchased) a few years ago:

Eye-One Publish

C