great price on gretag eye one

fks

found this on techbargains.com:

J and R has the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 1 PC/Mac Monitor calibration and profiling tool on sale for $59.88, $5.95 shipping, Tax in NY.

i use the eye one and am satisfied with the results. note that i am partially red-green color blind though :?

disclaimer: my only affiliation with j&r is as a satisfied customer.

ricky

Real Name
Chris
fks said:
i use the eye one and am satisfied with the results. note that i am partially red-green color blind though :?

Do you consider a calibration machine essential? I'm cb as well, and I can never tell with a visual/software calibrator if it's right.

gho

Wow, that's a reeeaaaally good price! I paild like $250 for mine. I'm partially R/G CB too.

gho

Chris, I *especially* consider calibration essential, since it's difficult for me to judge correct color, I have to trust machines to do it for me...

Do you have any experience with this on LCDs? I'd like something to calibrate my powerbook, and I've heard mixed results from other calibration gear, but never heard anything about the Gretag. Otherwise this looks like a good deal.

I have the GretagMacbeth Eye-One Publish system (has the Eye-One and other software). It's the best out there as far as I am concerned. I also have a ColorVision Spyder. The Gretag is more accurate.

My 22" Apple Cinema Display (LCD) is calibrated to 2.0 Gamma (a compromise between normal Mac Gamma of 1.8 and PC Gamma of 2.2) and Native Whitepoint (which is very close to 6500K). Colors jump off of it and the greyscale is neutral from black to white.

For that price it's a steal. They have recently introduced a newer version...must be clearing out the old stock.

C

fks

hi chris-

i tried the adobe gamma that comes with photoshop, but i had trouble with the green color bars in one of the steps. i gave up and paid $200 for my eye one. it's worth every penny; whenever i view a photo, the colors look so much better. i still have problems though with the green "back" arrow in IE.

hi gregory-

yup i agree with you, since we can't tell the difference we have to trust a machine to do it for us.

hi mf44-

i've calibrated my sony vaio and my princeton lcd and the colors look good and similar. the one drawback (and it's a windows problem) is when you have a two monitor setup, you need to switch between profiles. i use an lcd for browsing and a crt for photo editing, and i haven't found a way to assign a profile to each monitor. i don't have any experience with apples, so it might be a different situation.

hi cory-

what does the extra software in the publish system do? can you calibrate your printer?

ricky

Ricky,

Yes, the Publish system includes the following:

-Eye-One Pro Spectrophotometer w/Ambient Light Head
-Eye-One Match Calibration software/targets for: CRT & LCD displays, scanners, RGB & CMYK printers

I believe the new version is Eye-One Proof.

Well, another impulse buy. The wife is gonna kill me (but I'll tell her to be sure to sell my D2X here when she does). That was an incredible price. Thanks!

Wish I had seen this post sooner. I have an Eye One Display (first version) that I have no use for since I now use the Eye One Photo (wanted to be able to profile my printer too).

Anyway, the first person to email me at jeffkohn @ houston . rr . com can have it for the price of shipping (prefer paypal for convenience).

L

LarryJacobson

Ricky,

Just ordered one as well.

Thanks for the "heads up".

-Larry

fks

hi kevin, larry and frank-

no problem, always happy to share bargains like this. i'm bummed that i paid more than that when i got my eye-one :?

ricky

Latest threads

Top Bottom