Great Wall #2

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JustinD, Oct 31, 2005.

1. I like this shot quite a bit more than the other one I posted. It has the watchtower more up close so it takes over the composition. Your thoughts? Does the vertical format work for this image?

Copy-of-MutianyuGWall3v.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I like this image, Justin, but I am wondering if the composition could have been improved slightly if there was a bit less sky and if the walk area nearest to you was more visible rather than just the wall itself. I am certainly not an "authority" when it comes to critiquing someone's images because of my lack of artistic vision...but when I viewed your image, my initial impression was that too much sky was visible and maybe more of the walkway could have been showing. The portrait orientation on your camera for this shot works okay as well.
    I hope that something that I wrote makes some sense.

3. I had the very same thoughts as Frank before I read his post. Crop a little sky out, and yes chopping the walkway distracts my eye, either the whole walkway or nothing.... My opinion about vertical landscapes (oxymoron there!) is unless it's a big bunch of beautiful sky or water to show, my eye prefers landscapes lengthwise, otherwise I feel like I'm missing something... but then again, that's just my opinion.

4. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Justin,
    I like this shot because it gives you scope of the Great Wall and I don't think the amount of sky detracts because it helps to give that scope. This is a great shot of a very difficult subject. For compostion purposes, it would have been nice if more of the wall at the bottom right(and this may have been impossible), was included, and also if the foreground was a little more in focus.
    Mike

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I like it a lot... in fact better than the first one you posted...

6. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I like it just the way you shot it.

Regards

RFC

7. This one really shows off the magnitude of the Great Wall. Very nice image.

8. Thanks for taking the time to comment folks! The notes on composition are duly noted!

9. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Very nice image. I too like this better than your first one as the wall seems to grab your attention here.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great the way it is.

(But if you take the sky and a tad of the top of the wall off it gives the perspective of looking wayyy down. wow. Just thinking. Pay me no mind :>))