Greece Wins 2005 EuroBasket Gold

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Panos Kazanelis, Sep 26, 2005.

1. 25 September 2005
    Greece Shocks Europe and Win 2005 EuroBasket Gold

Greece concluded their improbable EuroBasket run with a convincing 78-62 victory over Germany to win the 2005 EuroBasket gold medal.

In front of a raucous pro-Greece sold out crowd of 20,000 at the Belgrade Arena, the Greeks used their trademark of teamwork, solid defence and strong outside shooting to claim their first gold medal since 1987.

The Greeks have now won four medals overall.

{8E423235-07A0-454D-A855-7D3C0AFC33D7}large_h.

{2E5DA6CE-C040-4847-96A4-038779E354D7}large_v.

official FIBA website

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. I, too, saw the match and I don't want to cut down your triumph, but the German team didn't play up to their best standard, especially their shot statistics from the distance was horrible, which on the other hand is a proof of the marvellous defense work of the Greek team.
    Anyway, the victory was well deserved. They always had good players, but admittedly noone would have thought they might win the title. Well, think of the soccer EM, noone would have thought that Greece would win that one either. Never leave the Greek unconsidered in your calculations! :smile:
    Cheers

4. That's true Harry... however Greece has a tradition in basket far longer -and better- than football/soccer...
    ...and imagine that none in the Greek team is an NBA player... :wink:

Somehow, it seems that -strangely enough- Greek Team Sports (and singing :wink:) are going through a golden era... wouldn't you agree...??? :rolleyes:

5. A big heart congratulations from the other side of the waters! Good on you and your country - I can just IMAGINE the celebrations. Have a drink on me - I'll send you the Euros!! LOL

6. Well Sandi, unfortunately -once again- I'm not home :frown: :Depressed ... and even if I am in a "Greek" land... it's not the same... :redface:

But you send the Euros over (~1,200) and I'll turn them into a nice glass... :wink:

7. Having no NBA player was probably an advantage, because NBA players are usually individualists and not good team players outside their familiar team. Dirk Novicky might be an exception, though.
    Cheers

8. Congratulations to you and your countrymen. An very impressive win and a source of national pride.