Green bud

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by BostonRott, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Yea or nea? Shot this in my neighbor's garden.

D200, 105/2.8D hand-held, ISO 200, 1/250sec at f/8

2. great shot Gretchen, almost looks Si-Fi-ish

laurie

3. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Hi Gretchen,

I saw better in your previous thread. The main subject is overexposed IMHO (watch for the blown highlights). I like your composition but I would try to shoot from different angles as well in order to get a different color background. Hope I didn't sound too harsh and please, take my comments and suggestions with a pinch of salt as I'm just a newbie with lots to learn. Thanks for sharing.

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Nice composition and DOF but I agree with Jorge about the highlights.

5. A diffusor would have helped a lot but probably not be consistent with your handheld technique. An interesting image.

6. Watch out, you may have one near you!! :tongue:

Jorge,
    Thank you very much, your comments are quite helpful! I had not noticed the highlights too much until you mentioned them, and now I see them clearly. You help me learn, thank you! :smile:

As to a different color background, I was trying to keep the house out of the shot (flowers are right near the house). Do you think it would be better with some of the golden-yellow flowers OOF in the background? I will see if I can shoot another today (don't know if more buds are available).

Thank you Tojor for taking the time to look and comment, I do appreciate it! I hope to try to reshoot today, not sure if there are still buds on those flowers or not.

Dave,
    Tell me more.....how is a diffusor used? I always think of them as a flash attachement. Do you mean one of those silvery disk-type things? (i.e. looks like a frisbee and had better be WELL hidden from the dogs! :eek: ).

I was shooting in pretty harsh light, mid-afternoon if I remember and the sun was almost direct. I know this is not flattering light to shoot in, but I was so eager just to shoot *something.* :redface:

7. A diffuser is usually white and reduced harsh light. You can buy 3 in 1 kits pretty cheap that will give you a silver reflector, gold reflector and diffser all in one fold up kit (like a windshield shade) I never can seem to fold them back up correctly LOL, but they really are perfect for mid day macro work when the light is too harsh for other types of shooting.

8. Ok, thank you. Reflectors are what I was picturing. The diffuser is positioned between sun and subject? And needs some sort of holding stand/device? Recommendations? (Gee, I do need to hit the camera shop today to get eclipse/lens pads..........)

9. usually I lean the diffuser against something and yes it is placed between the sun and your subject. Here is a link to one like I have.

10. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    I'm sorry, my bad as I didn't explain it better... I think your lens and you created an excellent DOF effect/Bokeh and composition but everything in this pic looks green and you want to enphasize the subject (bud) and IMO changing your angle to get some different colors (OOF blue sky, red door, yellow flowers, etc) could provide a more contrasting picture, but as I said I'm a newbie and I might be wrong.

I hope you don't mind, but I used your pic to do minor adjustments with levels (dark) and HUE (yellow) in photoshop to enphasize the bud or to get the pic closer to a better exposure and I think the darker background does the job. What do you think?

Sorry for the bad English. :redface:

[​IMG]

11. Wow, what a difference! I see what you mean, and I do agree with "something more" in the background.

BTW, your English is excellent!! :smile: