1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Green focus light not working

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Bowhunter2001, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Bowhunter2001

Bowhunter2001

May 30, 2017
    D4. Camera working perfect. I did some video with live view and messed with menu. The focus light turned green like it's supposed to. I went back to taking pictures. My red light does not turn green when in focus through viewfinder. The pictures seems in focus, and I can see it focusing. In live view the light will turn green on screen, as it is supposed to, but not through the viewfinder. I changed lenses with no difference. Still no green light when in focus. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Try it with another lens; clean the contacts.

3. Bowhunter2001

Bowhunter2001

May 30, 2017
    I’m sorry. I did try another lens and cleaned the contacts on the rings. Same result.

4. Well, at least we think alike :eek: :D 

5. Bowhunter2001

Bowhunter2001

May 30, 2017
    I did a complete reset also.

6. Bowhunter2001

Bowhunter2001

May 30, 2017
    Called Nikon Tech support. We went over many thinks. Probably over an hour on the phone in several phone calls. She told me I need to send it back and it would be around $300 to fix. I sent it back. The bill was $506. I just got it back today. I called Nikon back as there was a copy of the manual on focusing. On a separate piece of paper that was sent it said the red light doesn't turn green in the viewfinder on this camera. The lady I was talking to on the phone acknowledged that is correct on the D4, the focus ring doesn't turn red, only on live view. So their was nothing wrong with the camera in the first place! I told her I know I am not bright, but why didn't Technical support know this??? We went through all kinds of procedures, different lenses, etc, trying to make that light turn green in the view finder.
    Again, I didn't know this. I have several other cameras that turn green. This D4 is new to me. That's why I called tech support, I didn't know and wanted an expert from Nikon to help me, but they didn't know it didn't turn green either! I ended up talking with a supervisor who told me they fixed a bayonet mount, rpl apron, rpl screw, rpr reflex mirror and adjusted items. I told her I wouldn't of sent it back if the tech would have known that this model doesn't turn green in the viewfinder and I wouldn't have wasted $506!!! They apparently fixed things I didn't even know were having a problem without even letting me know. The camera was working perfect except for the focus light not turning green. I am awaiting a reply from Nikon on my $506.

7. If you didn't provide written authorization for those issues to be fixed and if you paid by credit card, simply dispute the charge in writing with your credit card company. Call them or go online to learn the procedure, as the credit card company will also contact Nikon once your complaint has been submitted. I've had to resort to that a few times in the last few decades with other companies and each time it worked (because I submitted proof that I was in the right and that the company I had paid was in the wrong).

8. Bowhunter2001

Bowhunter2001

May 30, 2017
    Yes, I did call my card company, already. They said to give Nikon time for a resolution. If I don't agree, then dispute it. The Nikon supervisor told me they had to fix those things because they can't send it back if it wasn't within specs????

9. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Did Nikon send you an estimate for your approval before doing the repairs ?

10. Bowhunter2001

Bowhunter2001

May 30, 2017
    They just told me that it was going to be the $506 with shipping. No one told me what needed to be done. They say they record everything. I told the supervisor to listen to the recordings. It was all verbal with no explanation.

11. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    They never give details, only a repair code
    and communication is their weak spot for sure

12. Bowhunter2001

Bowhunter2001

May 30, 2017
    My company sells and repairs tv's, computers, appliances etc., I need to start doing this. Give the customer incorrect information up front. Then tell them it has to be sent in for repair and the estimate is around $300. After I get it, supposedly fix a few other things and send a bill for $506 when there was nothing wrong with the unit in the first place. I don't think I would last very long in business.

13. That's crazy BS! They're basically telling you that when people send in cameras that are no longer up to spec, they can force us to pay for repairs we didn't request.

If I were you, any time you have a conversation with Nikon about this that you tell them that you are recording the conversation and that, indeed, you should record it. Just be sure to advise the person on the other end of the phone that it's being recorded so you're not accidentally doing something illegal.

14. Bowhunter2001

Bowhunter2001

May 30, 2017
    Yes,

15. Bowhunter2001

Bowhunter2001

May 30, 2017
    Update. Two people at Nikon told me it had a green in focus and two people told me it didn’t. I called Nikon back and got a hold of the lady who got up and went and grabbed a D4 and fired some photos with it. She told me it did not have a green focus ring in the viewfinder when in focus. So she obviously, knows that I was “screwed”. She said she would do everything she could to help the situation out. The guy I had been emailing with told me they weren’t going to do anything. He told me he replaced my bent bayonet among other things needed to be fixed and it was repairs that was needed. I told him no one ever told me that supposedly, those parts were bad and never gave me an estimate letting me know the cost to re- place these parts. I told him that when I attach lenses to this body it was smooth as silk. I told him basically you’re just trying to screw me as My camera was working perfectly except for the problem I thought existed with the green focus ring. A few hours later I was emailed back and told that I was going to receive a full credit on my credit card. I always looked up to Nikon for the last 43 years of using their Products. What a joke!

16. Well, they came through in the end. Phew!

17. Somebody at Nikon finally figured that out and that's surely why you received a complete refund. One of my customers (when I was still in sales) refused to pay a $200,000 invoice because in their mind they hadn't approved the work to be done. I showed them the project manager's email authorizing the work and paid invoices in the past for similar work charged at the same rates. They still refused. After the attorneys from both companies started communicating, they paid the invoice in full. Proof is proof is proof.

Now that you spent all this time arguing with Nikon, the least you deserve is that your camera was improved by them. The sad part is that I'm sure they don't feel that way. If you didn't receive a written apology, that for me is the proof.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  18. Bowhunter2001

Bowhunter2001

May 30, 2017
    I honestly do not think they replaced anything!! There was nothing wrong with that bayonet. If there was I would have felt some type of resistance when I changed lens. I never felt a hint of anything wrong when I ever changed lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.