Green Heron blending in

Discussion in 'Birds' started by drueter, Aug 14, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Went out to the pond to see if I could find the Green Heron that's been hanging around lately and didn't see him at first. As I was scanning the shoreline with the 300f4 and TC14, I spotted him - even though I could barely see him when I looked without the lens (part of that is my poor vision, but he does blend a bit with the mud and grass). I believe you would easily miss him if you didn't know he was hanging around. (This is cropped to about 80% of the original shot)

Right after I took that shot, he jumped out for a better look -

View attachment 13790

Then I ran back for cover because a loud clap of thunder from an approaching storm made me think about all that metal in the tripod and camera I was holding.

2. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Good shots. This is one that I am looking to get . they are pretty wild around here.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good find Don. These guys are pretty good at concealment. Like you, my vision isn't all that great, and I often use my cam as a spotting scope. 8)

4. Good shot Don. They are elusive though aren't they.

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Yep trying to find one myself
    very nice :)

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Good captures Don. The green heron is a real difficult subject. They are very shy and don't come out into the open too often.

7. Lately it seems that the greenies at Viera have been quite sociable! I like shooting them and they're a lot of fun to watch. Especially when they ruffle their head and neck feathers. Great shots, Don!

8. That is a good concealment photo. If one weren't looking specifically in that spot you would miss it entirely.

9. Very nice Don. I sure have fun watching these guys when I get the opportunity.