1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Green Heron In Flight Shots

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Got the chance to shoot a Green Heron in flight this morning. All shot with D3 and 300 f/4 AF-S hand held.

1)
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

4)
    [​IMG]

5)
    [​IMG]

6)
    [​IMG]

7) Bonus shot of the same GH just lurking
    [​IMG]

2. Spectaular, especially the last photo.

Les

3. Dave,
    superb, love the bif shots!
    Kevin P.

4. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Les...I'm trying to capture more action shots rather than stationary shots...I've got plenty of those. :biggrin:

Thanks for looking Kevin...

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    NICE! Still trying to get those in flight, they are a touch rare around my area!

Well done, looks like you got him coming and going unless they are different birds!

Wade

6. nice shots - wish I could find them around my place

7. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Beautiful shots!

Still looking for these suckers around here... very rare bird even more rare when you have your gear and a there in flight to have there pics taken.

8. Great series here, nicely done.

9. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Wow. Now thats what I was trying to do.

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Wade. I had never seen a Green Heron until I stumbled upon one over by my wife's office last year. I've been hooked on shooting them ever since. They are quite elusive and blend in well.

Keep looking...they're probably there, they blend in well. Thanks for looking.

Thanks! Yes they are...you'll find one though.

Thanks Warren.

Let me know when you want to try again and we can go out one Saturday or Sunday morning to the spot where there are normally 2 or 3 around and practice. The little lake they are at is in John's Creek.

11. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Excellent captures Dave

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow Dave, these are stellar in-flight captures. You nailed the panning on each of them. Tack sharp and beautiful colors. Thanks for sharing.

13. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Jimmy...I'm just trying to get some shots half as good as yours. :smile:

Thanks Frank. I ended up taking a lot of him during this flight, and thankfully quite a few of them were right on with the focus.

14. Linda toda a série! Belas cores e definição! Um dos temas que mais gosto. Parabéns!!!!!!!!

15. Beautiful BIF's as is the static shot. These guys do flutter about.

16. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thank you...

Thanks...they are quick little buggers.

17. beyond excellent. wow, well done.

18. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Ray...

19. Great series... can't make up my mind on which I like the most.... perhaps #6 a wee li'l more than the others.

20. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Yeah, I think I like #6 the most too. I like the color of the water in that one more than the other ones which had the reflection of the sky in the water and that's why they are bluish/grey. It almost looks like the sky, but it is water.

Thanks for looking!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.