Green heron with catch

Discussion in 'Birds' started by RNeal, Oct 19, 2005.

1. RNeal

RNeal

Oct 15, 2005
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]

D2X, 200-400 VR @ 400mm, F4, 1/320s, ISO 400, cropped, downsized.

These guys are small and fast and hard to track. Stalked this one for over an hour from about 40-50 yards across a cove.

Here's another of him stalking his prey:

[​IMG]

D2X, 200-400 VR @ 400mm, F4.5, 1/400s, ISO 400, cropped, downsized.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Randy. You are right about these being tough subjects to capture, especially in flight. I've yet to get one that I'm completely satisfied with.

Well done. :smile:

3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Randy! Those green herons are really quick and hard to catch in flight. But, they're fun to stalk and watch as they feed. Thanks for sharing!

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Randy,

Where in Tennessee are you located? Patrick and I and several other Cafe members are from the Tennessee Valley area (around Huntsville). We could be close enough to get together for shooting sessions. We have some pretty good locales. What about you?

5. RNeal

RNeal

Oct 15, 2005
    Tennessee
    Frank, I'm up around Knoxville/Blount Co. in the foothills of the Smokies. This was taken at a small, easy to get to county park on Ft. Loudon lake. There are three or four birds there I stalk there from time to time, including a Kingfisher which is almost impossible to get a good shot of.

I'm still looking for some other good birding places. One is "Loony Island" which is a rookery right down the Tennessee River from Neyland Stadium loaded with Great Blue and Night Herons and an Osprey nest, but you really need a boat to get in close, and I've probably taken about all the heron shots I want for a while. (Good practice, but they're all starting to look the same!)

For some reason, I haven't had much luck up in the Smokies since I took up photography again about a year and a half ago. Some nice landscapes and scenery, but it doesn't translate well to photos for me. There's some occasional wildlife around Cades Cove (mostly turkeys and deer) but the Mrs. says my shots range from nothing special to boring. Need to get out and hike more, I guess.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nice ones Randy
    same as others I find the LGH to be quite a challenge to photograph

7. I sure love to watch the green herons. They are one of my favorites. Nice job.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those little buggers are SUPER FAST. Don't know how you caught that. Great job.

Good image

9. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Randy
    I tried to open your pics about 06h00 this morning, and it is now again 12h15, here, and I am still stuck - only the dreaded red X, no pic, right click does not work either - I am on standarf telephone line, not 24/7 like you guys have in USA.
    Would love to see Mr Meanie, as i cal oour version here.
    Regards
    Callie

10. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Randy
    Pictures opened today, like the one flying, with the crest. I have made a comparison between our GBH and yours in my post on them. TFS, I love these guys – always action where they are.
    Regards

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Randy,

Knoxville is a bit of a drive from here (3.5 - 4 hours), but not unmanageable, especially if you find a really good place to shoot. Let me know and maybe we can get together for a hike / shooting session. As long as there is hiking, my wife will be interested. :smile:

Regards,

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Nice shots, Randy. Great capture to get one in flight, and with dinner too!
    I've never been able to capture on except sitting in a tree or stalking in the water. Well done!

Gordon