1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Green Heron with Crest....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jeff Lee, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

Have not imaged birds in almost 4 months, but I am please with this image.

enjoy.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice capture Jeff. I love shots of these guys with the crest up. :smile:

3. Very nice Jeff. I've never seen one do that, but then I am not a regular bird photog. Cool look.

4. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Nice one Jeff. I have not seen a herons crest up like that before, either. That lens/tc does a great job - very sharp.

5. Love it! Nice capture of my favorite water birdie! LOL, I've only seen 1 with his crest up like that but was too far away for me to get a good shot at it! Perhaps he's looking for a girlfriend? :wink::rolleyes: 

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    All:

Thanks. I was using binoculars when I first saw him....had seen one at the other end of this small pond surrounded by light industrial stuff. But the earlier bird (no pun intended) was just a spec in my 300/1.7 combo (which really is a true bargin price/performance wise).

I was just leaving when I spotted him....he flashed his crest just for a second as I watched. Then I got the camera out and just waited....he ate a fish and then displayed...I visit this pond about 20 times a year and each year always see something unusal. First time for the GH, they apparently only visit this location to breed. I will be watching for young as the other GH I'm sure was a female.

Again thanks for the comments.

7. mrlimpet

mrlimpet

May 12, 2006
    san francisco
    what a beautiful bird and well captured too!

thanks for sharing jeff.

8. aos111

aos111

Mar 9, 2008
    little rock ar
    Very nice.
    Andy

9. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Wow.
    Love the color

10. Renate

Renate Guest

That is one cool-looking bird, I've never seen anything like that before. I'm still enjoying the new wild-life here, it is so different than in the Netherlands.

Renate

11. Nice one Jeff. I have one that is perching in a tree (yes, perching) in the ravine behind that I'm trying to capture. Today's efforts were not so good, need more reach.....

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    nice shot, and what a way to get back into the birds!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.