Green heron

Discussion in 'Birds' started by drueter, Jul 9, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Had a couple of Green Herons visit the pond today! :D One got clsoe enough for some nice shots ---

View attachment 11703

This guy moved further around the pond, but then I saw him run away from the other GH with something in his mouth and snapped this quick shot -- lots of noise and in the shadows, but it does show that he caught a nice dinner! :) As I moved closer for a better shot, he tilted his head back and swallowed the fish in one gulp!

View attachment 11704

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OMG what big fish.. Holey cow, how i the heck do they swllow those..

Great greeny shots..

Thanks for sharing.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great images, Don. How in the heck is that bird supposed to swallow that fish? :shock: Those dorsal spines are going to do some tracheal damage!!! :x

4. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Gale, Frank -- thanks for the comments. I didn't realize how big that fish was until I was processing the photo. All he did was tilt his head back and down in went like it was a tiny morsel! I'm truly amazed by what the herons can get down their throats!

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Great shots, I find it more interesting in how they can lift off with a huge fish in their belly!

Wade

6. Cool shots of the Green, Don! They are very interesting birds to watch. Too bad they like to hide though...not as commonly seen as the other herons and egrets.

7. Very nice shots love the little greenies one of my favorites, can you imagine the percentage of its own wieght that fish is.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent captures Don. These guys are usually very skittish except when they are hunting / feeding. They basically seem to ignore you if you don't get too close and don't make any sudden moves.

Good job.