Green heron

Had a couple of Green Herons visit the pond today! :D One got clsoe enough for some nice shots ---

45956237.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 11703

This guy moved further around the pond, but then I saw him run away from the other GH with something in his mouth and snapped this quick shot -- lots of noise and in the shadows, but it does show that he caught a nice dinner! :) As I moved closer for a better shot, he tilted his head back and swallowed the fish in one gulp!

View attachment 11704

OMG what big fish.. Holey cow, how i the heck do they swllow those..

Great greeny shots..

Thanks for sharing.

Great images, Don. How in the heck is that bird supposed to swallow that fish? :shock: Those dorsal spines are going to do some tracheal damage!!! :x

Gale, Frank -- thanks for the comments. I didn't realize how big that fish was until I was processing the photo. All he did was tilt his head back and down in went like it was a tiny morsel! I'm truly amazed by what the herons can get down their throats!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Great shots, I find it more interesting in how they can lift off with a huge fish in their belly!

Wade

Cool shots of the Green, Don! They are very interesting birds to watch. Too bad they like to hide though...not as commonly seen as the other herons and egrets.

Excellent captures Don. These guys are usually very skittish except when they are hunting / feeding. They basically seem to ignore you if you don't get too close and don't make any sudden moves.

Good job.

Latest threads

Top Bottom