Green Herons

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Decided at the last minute yesterday afternoon to drive over to Viera. Had a fantastic few hours. I saw Caracaras and a few Ospreys and a hawk. Hopefully can get to them and get them processed.

In the meantime, here are 3 Green Herons for you to enjoy. I was very fortunate in finding quite a few.

This first one thought he'd be able to blend in with the palm tree and act like a broken off frond, but he didn't fool me. Handheld 300/f4 w/1.4x tc
    [​IMG]

This guy stood in the same position and posed for me for quite a while. I got so close I had to switch to 12mp mode to fit him in the viewfinder. I crouched on the side of the berm while handholding 300/f4 w/1.4x tc
    [​IMG]

Can't decide if the previous shot or this one is my favorite. He was quite active and I chased him around quite a bit. Something must've been bothering him (besides me) as he was "ruffled" most of the time. Again, handheld with the same combination.
    [​IMG]

Feedback/comments welcome!

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    ANDDddddddddddddddddddd

You didn't calllllllllllll me.

Well I guess I am just going to have to cry........

I really really like the third one.

3. Hey Gale! Actually I was going to call you afterwards so we could go to the Port and shoot Pelicans. I didn't get up as early as I wanted to so I got to Viera just before noon. Not the greatest light. But I tried to make the best of it and most of my shots came out pretty good. Just tried to avoid shooting into the sun. By the time I was done at Viera, I figured it was kinda late to call you so I just went out to the Port to watch the cruise ships leave. Not a whole lot happening there but got a few pelicans. And some dolphins, too! :)

We'll hook up soon, I promise! ;)

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent series Kevin. I told you that Viera was a goldmine. :wink:

So where are the hawk and Caracara shots?

5. Quite impressive great place isnt it Keving I really liekd Viera when I was there

6. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Great birds! makes me want to go shoot something exotic!

7. Yes, a goldmine, indeed! I had the luxury of selective shooting this time, too. Chased around some glossy ibis but never could get them. Kept spooking them. Click pond was a disappointment. Was hoping for some terns or stilts but not much going on. A HUGE flock of vultures were there, I guess waiting for Gale! :shock: :wink: :shock:

Other shots in a minute....

8. Thanks, Mike! Yes, Viera's great!! It was such a relaxing day. I was there about 5 hours and I was the only person there the whole time.

Can't wait to see what the place is like come Fall/Winter! :lol:

9. They are very neat birds! I like these and the Least Bitterns but they were too jumpy and couldn't get any of them either. You should plan on coming down for Merritt Island III. Looks like maybe a few more people will be there this time. It's a great time!

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Kevin -

What are you doing chasing after that sweet little birdie? :p Green herons are really beautiful when you can get them out in the open, and you got nice captures. Is that "tree limb" pose in the first shot a natural behavior?

Gordon

11. That's my middle name "chasing birdies" ;). I don't know if it's natural or not but I'd never seen it until yesterday. The bird in the 2nd shot was sitting there first but I was busy trying to get more zoom out of my 300 while shooting an Osprey. He flew off down the berm and this guy replaced him. I took this tree shot then chased down the one in #2. The last one was right under that observation deck where the "guv'nah" was perched.

Thanks for the kind words. I was very happy with all my greenie shots.

12. Cool shots, dont see many pics of these guys, luv #3, but a great series there Kevin!!

13. Kevin, nice series. I have been very lucky Green Heron wise the last couple of days myself. They are sure cool looking birds, aren't they?

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is one beautiful bird .. Nice shot.

Do not think I have eve seen one.

15. Thanks, Keith, Bill and Gale! I really like these guys. They have interesting colors and feather patterns and when they ruffle their feathers and run they look like a roadrunner to me! ;)

16. Very nice job Kevin. The green heron is sure fun to watch. As Bill said we have been lucky here in Seattle to watch them as well.

17. Johnbotu

Johnbotu Guest

Nice shot

18. I like the sculpture like tree with the heron as a bonus in one, and for the color the third one.

19. WOW Kevin these are terrific!!! I love the Last one.

20. Thanks Jim, John, Gilles and Cindy. Gilles, I thought the heron in the tree was kind of comical when I saw him land there. Thought it would make a cute shot. :)