Green Woodpecker. Cornwall. UK

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Bob the Spiderman, Apr 23, 2007.

1. This is where I stick my neck out.:eek: :eek: :eek:

NC has some of the best bird photographers visit and post their images and whereas I am OK with insects, birds are not a strong point with me. However I thought that you would like to see this particular bird that visited us about 6/8 weeks ago. It is the very first one that we have seen on our lawn eating the ants. It stayed about an hour, then flew off and has not been seen since.:Whistle: :Whistle:

There is no question, the green woodpecker is one of the most colourful of all the birds native to Britain, and they make themselves very obvious by often feeding right out in the open in the middle of lawns, where they can be relatively inconspicuous while feeding, but when disturbed become very obvious as they fly away. Unlike the other two species (the Greater and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers), they are frequently to be seen on the ground, and this is because they have a great love of ants, and will return day after day to a favourite anthill to feed.

The largest of the three species of wood pecker found in Britain, Green Woodpeckers are also easily recognized by their laughing 'yaffle' call. Like many such obvious birds they have a wide range of old country names and while standardization of the names is obviously an advantage for birdwatchers, I can't help feeling that we have lost something when these old names are lost :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like the other woodpeckers, Greens do drum, but their drumming is neither so resonant nor harsh as the other two species, nor as frequent - they rely on their laugh to demarcate their territory. In Europe the closely related, though duller, gray-headed woodpecker is also found - but this is a more difficult bird to find, and one that even keen birders often have trouble in seeing.

I hope you enjoy the pictures but please understan I am NOT JIM F.

BW. Bob F.

2. Very nice images, Bob.

And I edited your post so that the first 2 photos could be shown in your post, instead of a link (changing and to [​IMG]) but I could not fix the 3rd one.

3. Okay, I fixed the 3rd photo as well. :smile:

4. nothing to apologize for here Bob. These are superb and sharp! I have never seen that species before.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a very beautiful bird.
    Ya did good Bob....
    Thanks for the info also

6. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Good shots Bob, i believe there are some near me but i have yet to get them in my viewfinder. Nothing to sniff at.

7. Thanks Phil.. I am having problems getting to grips with posting pictures but I will get there in the end.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Bob F

8. Bob and I spent a long time watching this Green Woodpecker. It was the first time he visited the lawn and he had a good feed, shame that he has not been back.

Pam

9. Very nice and very lucky to see it.

Phillip.

10. midi

midi Guest

The green woodpecker can be elusive so you did very well to capture those shots, Bob. I like them all.

11. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Bob, nice shots of the green chap! I had never seen one until a few months ago, and there he was sitting on my frosty lawn early one morning. It was a misty morning and of course the green woody on a green lawn made autofocus a challenge.

Here's the fluffy one:

p960392679-4.

12. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I'm glad you posted this Bob. A very pretty bird indeed!