1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Greene & Greene Houses

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by chewbecca, Jun 29, 2008.

1. I was wondering if anyone here had been to any of their houses?
    My husband is a HUGE fan of their work, and would love to see any pictures any of you might have.
    I would, too.

So, if anyone has been to one of their houses, and has any photos they'd like to share, please do post them. I would greatly appreciate seeing these photographs.

Thank you!:biggrin:

2. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    Hi Rebecca,

I, too am a big Greene & Greene fan. Since I got out of arch. school (too) many years ago, I've collected a number of books on Craftsman/California Bungalow style & specifically the works of the Greene Brothers. It's been a number of years since I've visited any of their projects, so I don't have any photos to share. I am going down to SoCal to scuba dive and visit friends in a couple of weeks. I hope to have time to visit the Proctor & Gamble house while I'm there. If I do, I'll be sure to post my fotos.

Dave

3. aw, thank you, Dave!

My husband has some colorful books of their work and does a lot of his own woodworking in their style.

We would LOVE to see any photos if you get a chance to take any.

Have fun on your trip!

4. I have a bungalow and enjoy learning about it (and fixing it up a little at a time) I would love to see some photos, too.

5. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    Chuck,

I was in Denver a week ago and visited the new art museum designed by Libeskind. Very interesting building. http://expansion.denverartmuseum.org/

The thing that caught my eye was a series of small format books called "Bungalow Basics" in the museum gift shop. Each book covered a specific topic such as doors, porches, kitchens, etc. I bought several of them to get ideas for some of my projects. I live in Salt Lake City and some of the ski resort architecture I design blends nicely with Craftsman/Bungalow details. I've also had the pleasure of restoring some buildings built in this style which was truly a treat to be involved in.
    I think you'd find the books useful while you're working on your home. Check the publisher out at www.pomegranate.com

Of course, you could just visit Rebecca in Chicago to see a multitude of great architecture! It's a wonderful place to visit for anyone who loves buildings.

Dave

6. I have some pictures I took of Frank Lloyd Wright's "The Bradley House".
    I live, like, 2-3 miles from it.
    But they aren't very good pictures. I want to go out and take pictures of it as the sun rises.
    In my opinion, it is prettier than the house of his in Chicago.
    When I took a Humanities class, my prof. took some of the class up to Chicago to see his house there, and I just kind of scratched my head going, "WHY, we have a FLW house right HERE, 5 minutes away from us."
    D'oh.

But I just think that Greene & Greene's stuff just blows FLW out of the water.
    I KNOW, I KNOW, different stuff and mainly different styles, but...
    WELL, I just want to see some Greene & Greene houses!:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.