Greene & Greene Houses

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by chewbecca, Jun 29, 2008.

1. I was wondering if anyone here had been to any of their houses?
    My husband is a HUGE fan of their work, and would love to see any pictures any of you might have.
    I would, too.

So, if anyone has been to one of their houses, and has any photos they'd like to share, please do post them. I would greatly appreciate seeing these photographs.

Thank you!:biggrin:

2. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    Hi Rebecca,

I, too am a big Greene & Greene fan. Since I got out of arch. school (too) many years ago, I've collected a number of books on Craftsman/California Bungalow style & specifically the works of the Greene Brothers. It's been a number of years since I've visited any of their projects, so I don't have any photos to share. I am going down to SoCal to scuba dive and visit friends in a couple of weeks. I hope to have time to visit the Proctor & Gamble house while I'm there. If I do, I'll be sure to post my fotos.

Dave

3. aw, thank you, Dave!

My husband has some colorful books of their work and does a lot of his own woodworking in their style.

We would LOVE to see any photos if you get a chance to take any.

Have fun on your trip!

4. I have a bungalow and enjoy learning about it (and fixing it up a little at a time) I would love to see some photos, too.

5. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    Chuck,

I was in Denver a week ago and visited the new art museum designed by Libeskind. Very interesting building. http://expansion.denverartmuseum.org/

The thing that caught my eye was a series of small format books called "Bungalow Basics" in the museum gift shop. Each book covered a specific topic such as doors, porches, kitchens, etc. I bought several of them to get ideas for some of my projects. I live in Salt Lake City and some of the ski resort architecture I design blends nicely with Craftsman/Bungalow details. I've also had the pleasure of restoring some buildings built in this style which was truly a treat to be involved in.
    I think you'd find the books useful while you're working on your home. Check the publisher out at www.pomegranate.com

Of course, you could just visit Rebecca in Chicago to see a multitude of great architecture! It's a wonderful place to visit for anyone who loves buildings.

Dave

6. I have some pictures I took of Frank Lloyd Wright's "The Bradley House".
    I live, like, 2-3 miles from it.
    But they aren't very good pictures. I want to go out and take pictures of it as the sun rises.
    In my opinion, it is prettier than the house of his in Chicago.
    When I took a Humanities class, my prof. took some of the class up to Chicago to see his house there, and I just kind of scratched my head going, "WHY, we have a FLW house right HERE, 5 minutes away from us."
    D'oh.

But I just think that Greene & Greene's stuff just blows FLW out of the water.
    I KNOW, I KNOW, different stuff and mainly different styles, but...
    WELL, I just want to see some Greene & Greene houses!:biggrin: