Greenfield Village, Michigan

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gnagel, Nov 7, 2017.

1. I spent a few hours at Greenfield Village last Friday. Here are some photographs from my visit:

1- Armington & Sims Machine Shop
    p2611450360-4.

2- Firestone Farmhouse (as in Firestone tires)
    p2611450345-4.

3- Firestone Barn
    p2611450343-4.

4- Martha-Mary Chapel (Henry Ford built this chapel in honor of his mother, Mary, and his mother-in-law, Martha)
    p2611450308-4.

5- The Sarah Jordan Boarding House
    p2611450807-4.

6- Thomas Edison's Menlo Park Laboratory
    p2611450685-4.

7- A small sample of Edison's laboratory jars
    p2611450790-4.

8- The Cotwold Cottage
    p2611450903-4.

9- Armington & Sims Machine Shop
    p2611450311-4.

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. OrvSal

OrvSal

Nov 8, 2006
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    Thanks for the memories! I was there once in the 60's and loved the place. Is the Henry Ford Museum still there too?

3. Thanks Orv...yes, the Museum is still there. I visited that a couple of days later when it rained all day.

Both the Village and the Museum are incredible. One of my favorite things about the visit is that I got to sit in the actual bus that Rosa Parks was in when she refused to give up her seat. I also stood a few feet away from the limo that Kennedy was in when he was shot. The place is packed with amazing historical pieces like these.

Of course, the Village contains several amazing attractions. Henry Ford was interested in collecting houses and other possessions of historical figures. For example, I walked into the actual Wright Brothers bicycle shop...and then stepped into the Wright house a few minutes later. Ford had both of those buildings moved from Dayton to Greenfield Village! The Village is massive...I clocked in ten miles of walking on my Fitbit that afternoon...the facility is about the size of Six Flaggs.

Glenn

4. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Love the machine shops and barn.

5. Thanks David...you picked my favorite two photography locations at the Village. When I first entered the machine shop, I couldn't wait to capture some images. Then, it took unending patience to wait for the scene to clear. If I hadn't visited in the off-season (there were very few visitors at the Village on this cool November day), those pictures would not have been possible.

Glenn

• Like Like x 1
  6. I especially like the interior shots. Have been there many times. Did you use a tripod? And how did you avoid the crowds?

7. Thank you...I used a tripod for all the shots at the Village and at the Museum. When I asked it it would be permitted, they said why not!

I visited on a November day...hardly anyone in the Village at all.

Glenn

8. Thank you...I used a tripod for all the shots at the Village and inside the Museum. When I asked if it would be permitted, they said why not!

I visited on a November day...hardly anyone in the Village at all.

Glenn

9. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    What wonderful images of an intriguing place. I've never heard of it....now it is on my list of places to visit! I really like #1, 6 and 7.

10. Another wonderful set! Do you by any chance have some close-ups of the glass jars in the Edison laboratory?

11. Thanks Karen...about a month ago, I pulled plans together for two reasonably short road trips--one to Detroit and the other to Madison/Milwaukee. Friends and family were stunned that I was going to Detroit. Detroit has a bad reputation these days. I was beginning to second guess my plans.

Detroit far exceeded my expectations. The thing is that Detroit was the fourth most populous city in the United States at one time and was the fifth largest in the 50's. So, it's a very big city that once had incredible wealth. As a result, there's some very impressive architecture there...and the city is on the rebound.

The Henry Ford (Greenfield Village and the Ford Museum of American Innovation) is a must see. It is on the scale of a Smithsonian Museum. The next day, I visited the historic Detroit Public Library...then I took a tour of the Fisher Building. The Fisher Building has an impressive history...which I'll cover a bit more once I get a chance to edit those images.

When it was time for me to leave, I realized that I better start planning a return to trip to Detroit. I have several other locations to visit--and I ran out of time! However, next week I'll be shooting a number of interesting locations in Madison and Milwaukee (an historic theater, a cathedral, a basilica, Milwaukee Public Library, Milwaukee Art Museum, state capitol, etc.).

Glenn

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  12. Thank you, Mike...no, I captured just the one image that I posted of the jars. There were so many things to see at Greenfield Village (and even the Menlo Park buildings) that I was lucky to see as much as I did given the limited time I was there.

It seemed like every time I entered a building, a representative was there to begin a discussion. I could have spent an hour in the Wright Brothers bicycle shop alone, but after about 30 minutes, I had to excuse myself so that I could move onto the next amazing attraction! When I walked into Henry Ford's boyhood home, the same thing happened. Then, I was walking around the Firestone Farmhouse and saw a group of people eating at the kitchen table. It's a working farm and the volunteers still do all the farming and cooking!

Glenn

13. william hortis

william hortis

Nov 30, 2013
    Fabulous set coupled with the info, Thanks.

14. A pleasure to see the history, lovely photographs.

15. Oh, I used to go there when I lived in Detroit. Winter around Christmas time is really neat if there is snow on the ground and all the houses are decorated.

16. Nothing like living vicariously as you travel around the country. Love the color image of the machine shop and also found TE's Menlo Park laboratory to be intriguing. Great series.

17. A few more Motown regional attractions, some seasonal or event related.
    • Eastern Market is a nice photo op on a Saturday morning.
    • Meadowbrook Hall in Rochester Hills.
    • Woodward Avenue cruise if you like old cars/muscle cars
    • Fox Theater and surroundings

18. Thanks William
    Thank you, John
    That would be an interesting time to visit.
    Thanks Gordon...next up, Madison and Milwaukee!
    Thanks...I submitted a request to photograph the Fox Theater. I was disappointed that I never heard back on that request.

Glenn

19. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    #7 with the jars is my favorite!

20. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Very nice exposures and compositions Glenn.