Greenies like Dragonflies too

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    This just goes to show you how fast the Green Heron is when fishing. It picked this dragonfly right off the top of the water right in front of me. I guess they eat more than just fish...

[​IMG]

The funny thing is that when I took the shot I could hardly see the dragonfly and didn't even realize what I had captured until I got home and blew up the picture.

Here's another shot of the greenie still fishing for some more lunch as the DF appetizer wasn't enough.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

2. Nice Catch Dave

Great detail and color

3. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    As a dragonfly lover I'll have to protest against showing this image. Just kidding. :biggrin: Great capture.

Looking closer at the image I see that Heron has captured two damselflyes mating so he's just not eating a couple of damselflyes but also the next generation. :eek: 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  4. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Gary.

Yeah Torben, there were 2 of them together...and I like damselflyes too, I was just amazed that the greenie was actually having them for a snack.

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    That is a great catch! I've seen them try but never once have I seen one actually catch a dragonfly.

6. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Nice capture.

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks for looking Andy and Jimmy. Yep, I never thought about them eating dragonfly's, but I guess anything will do in a pinch.

8. Slingher

Slingher

Jun 30, 2007
    Titusville FL
    I have never heard of a greenie eating dragonflies, but I have heard of a greenie catching and using a dragonfly as a lure. They would catch it and incapacitate the dragonfly and then place it in the water, when a fish would come by they just snatch the fish.

Nice capture!

Jessie

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good shot
    They will eat anything.
    Big Frogs, snakes, you name it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.