1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Greensping Garden Blooms (Friday Phototherapy)...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Hi All,

Trying to spend Friday mornings doing what I like best. Had good intentions of heading to the National Zoo, but did not feel like dealing with the traffic, so went back to my old standby: Greenspring Gardens which a short and easy drive from my house. Gloriously cool morning, decent light, too much wind :frown:! Ah well, the outing served its intended purpose! Always a wonderful way to end a week...

These were mostly taken with the D700 and 105VR, most were, I believe handheld. The final was taken with the 200/2VR. ISO 200, NEF converted via ACR.

1. Some kind of Susan...f4.5 1/640

91908greensprsm1-vi.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Unusual bright small purple/violet berries!!! f8 1/250

91908greensprsm2-vi.jpg

3. Lovely tall grasses in seed... f8 1/640

91908greensprsm3-vi.jpg

4. I'm telling ya, this lens is as sharp as a.... f8 1/200

91908greensprsm4-vi.jpg

5. Some beautiful roses still to be had... f3.5 1/1000

91908greensprsm5-vi.jpg

6. Bonus critter! f3.5 1/1000

91908greensprsm6-vi.jpg

7. Lantana f3.2 1/800

91908greensprsm7-vi.jpg

8. ?? f/2 1/5000

91908greensprsm8-vi.jpg

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Hi Rich, glad to know that you’re happy and chilled out following your weekly session. As usual the images are great (which suggests that you were overcoming a lot of frustration this Friday), my overall preference is ‘Bonus Critter’ however I do rather like the cactus (#4). The final image with the 200/2VR is also very strong, however I vow not to look at images taken with “that lens” because it’s simply too good and as such I simply can’t afford it.

The berries in #2 look pretty insane, I am wondering if they’re poisonous. With a warning colour like that I am guessing that they must contain something rather potent. Were they really that hue? Or were you just messing with your newfound ACR skills to fool us all?

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing more next time.

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    That's how everyday should be spent! IF ONLY! Nice ones, Rich. We get a bunch of the purple berries here too. How do you like working with RAW files?

4. Hi Robert,

Indeed the week was annoying, but really, I can't complain much. I am having a rash of technology problems in my office, my classrooms, pretty much everywhere but home! Thankful for that at least. The 200VR is a special lens, but I tell ya, I sure was having fun with the 105VR! I am trying to keep my Friday mornings free so I can take photos, pretty the only opportunity to shoot, and there are a lot of nice autumn subjects around here.

The colors were very accurate on the berries. I was quite struck with them, and had never seen anything like. Greenspring holds a surprise for me every time I go!

Thanks for the comments as always...

Thanks Francis, those purple berries are freaky, eh? I had never come across them before. I like working with the raw files just fine. I just need to learn WTH I am doing! I am just messing around at this point, totally clueless! :eek: 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  5. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    wow those are gorgeous and that cactus....man is that sharp!

6. Thanks Lisa, yeah pretty sharp, handheld too. VR does come in handy on the 105, not matter what people tell you :wink:!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.