Greeting Card "trojans"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beaucamera, Jul 31, 2007.

1. I don't know about you, but I seem to be getting a lot of greeting card "trojans" lately. I even got one from bluemountain.com just now, a source I thought might have been reliable.

Is this the latest trend? Are you getting these too?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

2. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Billions of 'em....

3. I never open greeting cards I get in my emails, they get deleted right off the bat. I may lose a genuine one here and there, but I just won't take the chance.

4. About 10 a day from "family members" "coworkers" and "neighbors". Damn, it's so humbling to beloved!

5. Our business literaly gets hundreds of these per hour. Looking into resources such as message labs to keep them from our server.

6. David, what is "message labs"?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. It is a spam program. I will get more info on it soon and share that. Just in the early stages of trying to get this under control.

8. We run 2 spam filters, and they still get through...nasty buggers are using PDF files now...we stop about 90-95% of the e-mail that is destined for our users, and they still sneak through.

9. A few weeks ago I got one of these, purportedly a greeting card from "a friend." I promptly deleted it, knowing full well that the friends who tend to send me such greeting cards always include their names and usually it is for a specific occasion. A week or so after that I read an article in the Washington POST reporting on this latest tactic.... Best defense is to simply NOT OPEN ANY email which looks a little different than expected ("a friend" rather than a name, for instance). Apparently this has continued to grow and more and more people are being plagued by the sneaky little payload included in these. It's really sad.

10. Be on the lookout. The next trend (you read it here first) is to use random names instead of "friend", (sic) "neighbour", and (sic) "shoolmate".

"they" nearly got me with that one. I'm a pinball collector, and only use my TheKorn address for pinball stuff. (And, I guess now, photo stuff. :) ) So it's pretty easy to spot these attempts right away; any banking stuff is automatically fake, so are ebay notifications, paypal, etc.

But one day they happened to send me one with the name of a pinball person to my pinball mailbox. That nearly got me; right person into the right mailbox. Luckily, the rest of my brain woke up; even though it was the right name in the right mailbox, the content didn't make any sense.

So the moral of the story is, if you see an attachment that you're not expecting send them back an email and ask if they meant to send you the attachment. Chances are, it's a fake.

11. Cutlass454

Cutlass454

Nov 29, 2006
    Yeah, I've been getting at least 5-10 every day. Most of them just end up in my spam filter, which are deleted on a daily basis. Those that make it through end up in the spam folder and the e-mail address added to the list.

12. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Yahoo takes care of all of mine.

13. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I started getting them yesterday. Those I had previously not been getting. I get lots of spam so I just created a new rule.

Regards,

14. DM Rosner

DM Rosner

Dec 13, 2006
    I've seen tons of them from, but my all-time favorite is...

"You have received an e-card from a worshiper."

Wow. Keep your bogus friends and schoolmates... I've got a bogus worshiper.

Just imagine my rush to open THAT one. :rolleyes:

15. None, zip,nada,zich, big goose egg....... : ~ )

16. We still receive a few even though we hav AV installed on our corporate firewall, Intelligent Messaging Filtering enabled on our exchange server with a Spam and Av solution on top of that. A real PIA