Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by 1FASTZ, May 20, 2007.

1. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Any thoughts about this monitor calibration tool? Any dislikes? I'm thinking of purchasing one, but would like to hear what the real world says about it.

Thanks,

2. i use monaco optix XR... that i found for $129.. works fine.... displayed images seem to match pretty closely when printed on the epson 3800.. there is a dynamic range reduction when going to paper, but the colors look pretty true to what i see on the monitor... i should really print a color calibration chart but haven't bothered to yet. the hope is that the calibrated monitor profile will match to the printer paper profiles.

there is a lot of stuff out there on the subject... http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/profiles.htm

it is also important not to apply profiles twice.. so i turn color management off in photoshop and just use the printer color management in the epson RIP

3. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    I have the Original Eye-One puck and Match 3 software and it works very well. I have my prints done at a local Costco that has the printer profile posted on the web and my prints match what I seen on my CRT monitor. The calibration is fairly painless and I go through the process once every few months.

4. I have used this very device for 2 years now and could not be happier. I do my own printing and color management is critical. It works well.
    dave

5. I have it too and am very pleased.

Rich

6. bobarue

bobarue

Aug 9, 2005
    Louisiana
    I'll fourth that. Great product.

7. philstrikesback

philstrikesback

Jun 9, 2006
    I use the pantone version of the Eye1 software.
    i aquired it only recently and am new to this, but i am very happy with it, much better colors for sure !!
    I have a problem with the second screen , see my tread on this a few days ago

8. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

I love my GMB Eye One Display 2.

9. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks to all who have replied. I bit the bullet and bought. I really like it so far.

10. Can anybody explain to me what differences are between the Gretag Macbeth and the Pantone versions are?

Thanks,

Paul.

11. philstrikesback

philstrikesback

Jun 9, 2006
  12. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

difference? About $100.

Seriously though, the Pantone Spyder is adequate. I used one for several years. I now have what I believe to be a rebranded GretagMacBeth Eye 1 (my LaCie Blue Eye) and think its perhaps a bit better. Both better than using Adobe Gamma adjustments or nothing at all!

13. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Guest

Know you already got one, but in case others are thinking about it - I'm very pleased with mine, too. The difference between calibrated and not is quite shocking, and it seems to work well with my laptop LCD as well.