Grey Card ????

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by fielddad, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Does anybody or nobody use a grey card when trying to set their WB at night games under poor lighting i.e. football ,baseball,softball??

2. I have a Whi-Bal card. I often take sample shots with it then use that in NX to set WB.

3. I use Expodisc instead of grey card. Works well for me.

4. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    preset it if possible

5. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    If I am shooting available light I will shoot raw as you will notice when taking pictures in those settings the lights recycle often and it is ugly.

If I have something that will over power the light, strobes/flash, I will shoot jpg and not worry about wb as the D3 does a wonderful job getting the wb correct

6. Skyguy

Skyguy Guest

Steve, I've used my Expo Disc with varying degrees of success, so I'm not sure whether I like it or not. Can you elaborate a little more on how you use it? I find pointing it into the light source is often tricky. Maybe you can straighten me out.

Thanx,
    Bruce (D300)

7. Bruce, I use it just as it was demonstrated in the tutorials on the Expodisc site.

http://www.expodisc.com/support/

Store the recorded WB (or WBs) as one or more of the Presets and make sure the preset is the one chosen, when you shoot.

It is best to take the preset(s) from the point of anticipated action (eg near the basket aiming toward the place you will be located when you shoot.)

Note that there is a tutorial for the Nikon D300 presets on the Expodisc site.

8. Skyguy

Skyguy Guest

Thanks, Steve. I know this thread started out as a question about using a grey card for night shooting, so I hope I haven't corrupted the information. My biggest challenge is shooting live at a karate studio with the most horrible lighting mix and unholy wall color I've ever seen. Seems like sometimes the WB works out well and other times it doesn't. Could be my lack of experience or the cyber gremlins lurking between the light and the camera's sensor. But I'll check out the D300 tutorial. Maybe I'll learn something. Thanks again.

Bruce

9. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

+1

10. +1 for Expodisc. Once you start using it you'll never go back and it's real easy to throw in your bag or pocket.

11. So is the expodisc the best thing out there for "trying to adj.WB"?

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Jerry, I use the Lastolite to see custom white balance. Take a look here to learn more about it. I purchased mine from Calumet Photographic.

13. Frank.I took a look at the site.How would this work at a night football or softball game that I can't get out on the field where the exposure would be?

14. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

if your shooting sports the expodisk isn't going to cut it ....i know a LOT of people use it but honestly they use it for short glass and subjects that aren't as fast paced ..... if im mid quarter shooting pro football do you really think im going to pull out an expodisk and fuss arround trying to make a custom wb for both my camera's ?? .... absolutly not.... dont get me wrong they are great for many things but sports photography just isn't one of them .... it takes less than half a second to snap a photo of a grey card / whibal or other like device and get back to shooting on field action ........

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This product is collapsable, I open it up and place it up against a yard marker with the lighting behind me. I snap an image of the grey card while following the steps to set custom white balance and it works just fine.

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I had an Expodisk as well, but sold it. It was not the ideal product for setting white balance when using a large telephoto lens. Yes, I could have set the white balance with a smaller lens, then switched lenses once WB was set. But I found it much easier to use the grey card for setting custom WB.

17. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Same one I use Frank... small, easy to use, and dead on....

18. topher/Frank
    Thanks again for the info,planning on ordering a grey card today!

19. Skyguy

Skyguy Guest

I was under the impression that a grey card actually set the exposure -- not the white balance. Am I missing something?

Bruce

20. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Yes, Bruce, it sets the WB. The camera needs a reference for what neutral (18%) gray is. You can use it to set the exposure in manual mode by using your in camera sensor, but then again, you can use just about anything for that...