Grey market lenses -- what's the real downside?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by mbarrett635, Jul 23, 2007.

1. I understand the difference with the warranties between US and grey market (5 vs 1 years, and Nikon service vs sending it back to the store). But realistically, what is the likelihood of needing warranty service? I take good care of my equipment, and as a non-professional, it doesn't see the kind of heavy use that might accelerate wear issues.

In particular, I'm looking at the Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4 and AF 85mm f/1.4D lenses. They price difference at B&H or Adorama for example is around $130. Given that, are the savings worth the risk?

2. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    The big thing about buying grey market is that Nikon USA will NOT service the lens...even if you are willing to pay for the repair. That is HUGE to me... and not worth the hassle.

If you are looking to save money... buy a USED USA lens. You won't have a warranty but at least you can get Nikon to fix it if need be.

3. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. No, Nikon won't touch it in the U.S. Check the link I supplied in that thread that goes to Nikon's knowledge base. It explicitly says grey market stuff will have to be sent back to the importer, and they won't do warranty or fee-based repairs on grey items.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    wow hadn't read all the way down, thanks! So even if you have a 1 yr warranty "anywhere" they still won't honor that in the US within the warranty period?

6. They'll honor it by having you ship it all the way back to the service center that handles whatever country your product came from.

7. Ouch that's really harsh. At least this side of the pond they will - "I live in the UK, but my camera is not covered by warranty within the European region, can I still send it to Nikon UK for repair?
    Yes, but repairs will be chargeable."

8. Well for what it is worth, my brand new nikon crashed in Spain while on vacation. Nikon France was no help!!! Would do nothing for me! I think under the circumstances, that some relief should have been offered!!

9. Well for what it is worth, my brand new nikon crashed in Spain while on vacation. Nikon France was no help!!! Would do nothing for me! I think under the circumstances, that some relief should have been offered!!