Greyhound Capture

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by JohnD3, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Never ever visited a Greyhound track in my life so I decided to give it a try using my D3 and 200-400f4 and was it a challenge. The light was fading fast and I was subjected to allot of shadows but I still believe some of the shots are acceptable, hope you like this one. Greyhound track in the UK/Peterborough

John

2567960015_1d9614405b.png

2. That's an amazing shot! Can you post a bigger version so that to see the detail in their eyes?

3. very cool shot, Greyhound Rick will like it I'm sure....

4. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    Thats awesome as i google which ones are close to me. What exact length were you at?

5. The actual focal length was maxed out at 400mm/f5, this must have been shot within the very first 10 frames ever shot at a Greyhound event so difficult as they really do move quick,

Hope the link works for a bigger version (still new to this you know)

2567960015_1d9614405b_b.png

6. Ahhh...MUCH better! What a great shot. Awesome eye contact and you just have to LOVE that white one on the left with all four feet off the ground.

7. Very happy with the image myself but nevertheless very challenging, thanks for the kind comment

John

8. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Killer Shot!!

9. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

I concur. killer shot!

First time out and you nailed it. Good job and thanks for posting!

10. One more to share....

2590941392_ac7b294e72.png

11. That's an intense shot!

The larger version really makes me feel like I should start running for my life!

Thanks for sharing.

12. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

WOW on the eyes
    awesome shot !

13. Well done.

Enter it in this weeks challenge. They more than qualify!

14. Really appreciate both comment.
    Markb not sure what this weeks challenge is let alone where to look but thanks for the suggestion.

Randy, as you know we are all in awe of your posted football images using your 400 f2.8, I am now seriously thinking about trading in my 200-400 for a 200f2 and then adding a 400f2.8 to my range. I believe these two lenses will help bridge the 200-400 spread I currently have.

Thanks
    John

15. That's about as cool as it gets right there. Fantastic picture... wow.

Dennis

16. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    John, thanks for the bigger version - the eye contact is just so captivating! Plus the white dog up in the air and the dirt being thrown up almost like splashing water further adds to the interest. Fantastic job.

17. Great shots John!!

Of course, greyhounds are my favorite thing to shoot as 95% of my photos are taken at Phoenix Greyhound Park (I know, I need to broaden my horizons a bit!!)

Congratulations on a great outing.:smile:

Can you tell me what your "in focus" percentage was? Id be very interested to find out because Ive taken about 10,000 racing greyhound photos in the last year and my %s at night are about 50% and about 80% in the late afternoon (starts at 6pm and ends around 7pm) in "turn four" which is an easier shot than "turn one". In "turn one" my percentage in the late afternoon/early evening is about 50% in focus.

Id really like to compare settings with you and also find out if you think that the D3 is superior for shooting greyhounds vs. the D300.

Would you mind posting your settings? Ive tried a lot of different ones but these are the ones I use more often than not. Let me know what you think!

Here are my typical settings for late afternoon shooting:

D300 w/ 70-200mm f/2.8 lens + monfrotto mono pod

1. RAW

2. "C" Focus

3. Ch shutter speed with battery grip (8fps)

4. Picture Control set to default on all setting except sharpness is set to "6"

5. ISO, usually at 640+

6. Shutter speed is usually 1/1000+

7. Metering is matrix or center

8. Focus tracking is "off"

9. High NR is low

10. a1 AF-C is set to "release+focus"

11. a5 is usually set to use SRB for focusing although sometimes I use the AF-ON button

12. AF-Area Mode is usually 9pt.

13. White balance "auto"

14. Active D lighting "off"

15. VR "on" (Ive been told this will slow down focus but I get less OOF shots with it "on")

16. Aperture is usually as tight as possible to increase DOF, usually the tightest I can get to is f/5.6, usually its less than that unfortunately.

At night time I use my 85mm f/1.4 lens at f/1.6 because of the poor lighting and the need to keep the shutter speed fast.

thanks again, GREAT photos!!!

18. John,

For the challenge, look here https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=189707

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  19. Hi Grehound Rick

Love to share my settings but I need to do that when I get back home tonight as I am currently at work.....many thanks to you all for the very kind comments.

John

20. Afternoono Markb

many thanks for the link I will have alook a little later......still at work.

Regards

John