Critique Grilled salmon and cherry tomatoes with Naan bread and tzatsiki

The latest issue of Food and Wine featured this entire meal and I tried it tonight, though I substituted Naan bread for the recipe's pita bread. I've never had a salmon dish like it because of the sauce made of brown sugar, salt and paprika. Absolutely terrific!

Setup
The tabletop is a floor tile. A large white reflector above the scene was lit from below by a small lamp in the left front area. A flashlight in the left rear area lit the cast iron skillet. A polarizer eliminated glare on the salmon in the skillet.

Mike 2020-04-27--005-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Nice image of an awesome looking meal. Good choice of Naan over pita. Might have to try that on salmon.

Thank you also to Nick, Mitch and Binnur!

A sprig of parsley would really bring it all together.

Great idea! Next time make your suggestions before I release the shutter. :ROFLMAO:

home made naan

Though I made the marinade for the fish and the tzatziki, the naan is store-bought. The directions were to sprinkle it with water and put it in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for one minute. It was wonderful. The instructions also said to lightly add butter or olive oil after removing it from the oven, but that's not our style.

Baked triangular chips of pita bread would also work well.

I am not a bread person in general, but I DO love Naan and also Pita bread! That meal looks really delicious, and certainly sounds like a quite different approach to Salmon. Wow! I am a big fan of Hummus and Tzatziki, and occasionally pick up the small tubs of Cava Mezze Grill's version at Whole Foods. I could easily make a meal just out of Hummus, Tzatziki, Kalamata Olives and Naan..... A lot of times when I'm at Tysons Mall (usually either before or after I've gone to the Apple Store!), I'll stop in at the Cava "fast-casual" restaurant and have a wonderful Mediterranean-influenced meal, but of course it has been a while now since I could do that. Your meal here gives me some ideas, though, about modifying certain things and having a delightful meal for myself right here at home!

Finally got to the store today -- I'm carefully spacing my trips out of the house and haven't been to the grocery store very often in these last seven or eight weeks, only as really needed. Anyway, I had your recipe in mind (with a few modifications) and was happy when I could pick up my favorite brand, Cava Tzitziki and also Hummus, new to Giant, as I hadn't seen it there before.....along with Naan and grape tomatoes. I don't have an outdoor grill at home -- one thing about living in a condo apartment is that we can't use those on our decks -- and I don't mess with the oven so one modification in preparing my meal was that I did it in the microwave. First I put the (frozen) fish (tilapia) into a microwave-safe dish and added the tomatoes, brushed the fish with a bit of olive oil and squeezed in a generous helping of lemon (I LOVE lemon), as well as adding a few Kalamata olives and a few capers and a kiss of garlic.... Once that was done I quickly dampened the Naan and heated it up briefly and then put together the plate with the fish and its accompaniments, plus some rice and then a spoonful or so of Hummus and a larger dollop of the Tzitziki. -- Mmm, delicious!!!

Many thanks for this inspiration, as I wouldn't' have thought about Tzitziki and fish as an interesting and delicious combination!

Latest threads

Top Bottom