Gripe about the 200/f2.0 VRII

OK, my venerable old 80-200D is starting to show it's age while trying to shoot sport in low light. for pretty much all other applications, it's still perfectly serviceable and razor sharp to boot.

rather than get a 70-200/f2.8VR i decided to go the whole hog and just spring for a brand spanking new 200/2.

it arrived yesterday and I have one major gripe about it:

What total MORON designed that stupid, non-sensical 'semi-soft' case it comes with?

And what complete idiot at Nikon decided the 'semi-soft' case was a good idea?

seriously. there's an inch and a half of padding in the lid and two inches of padding on the base with a half inch all round.

while i have no concerns that it won't protect the lens from general travel rough and tumble, it's got huge external dimensions when compared to the remarkably compact 200/2 itself.

why Nikon didn't just ship it with a decent hard case is beyond me. at least I could stand up on a hard case or use it as a seat (like i do with the case for my 400/2.8 AF-SII) and get some extra use out of it.

i can see myself having to shell out for a dedicated pelican case for my new Speed Queen. but that leaves me a little peeved when I just coughed up AUD$7,700 for the glass.

/rant

(aside from issues with the case, the glass itself is this photographers wet dream)

Real Name
Colin Carter
if its the same case that comes with the 300VR then i think its an awesome case. i can get the 300vr and a d3 in mine when thats all i want to take out.

the metal cases that come with the 400 / 500 / 600, on the other hand are useless, for me. I could never see myself carrying one of thoes around anywhere.

so i surpose we all have different thoughts. Whats useless for one person is great and indespensible for another.

Real Name
Randy
if its the same case that comes with the 300VR then i think its an awesome case. i can get the 300vr and a d3 in mine when thats all i want to take out.

the metal cases that come with the 400 / 500 / 600, on the other hand are useless, for me. I could never see myself carrying one of thoes around anywhere.

so i surpose we all have different thoughts. Whats useless for one person is great and indespensible for another.

+1
and i just realized the top is adjustable so you can fit a body in there

+1
and i just realized the top is adjustable so you can fit a body in there

I am in there as well. I find the soft-case is a great compromise and leaving the body attached is the bonus for me. The hard case's are just not practical for day to day use.

I have to agree and disagree !
The aluminium case the 500mm came in is never used, even for storage ( I can't believe if you want to buy one they are a few hundred dollars !) and neither is the one the 300f2.8 came in either. The latter is slightly better in that it will take a body attached but there isn't any room for anything else and you are limited to a shoulder strap. Might as well use another bag.
Having spent in well over $10,000 I do think that I could expect something really practical for my lenses included !
cheers Dave

Real Name
Randy
I have to agree and disagree !
The aluminium case the 500mm came in is never used, even for storage ( I can't believe if you want to buy one they are a few hundred dollars !) and neither is the one the 300f2.8 came in either. The latter is slightly better in that it will take a body attached but there isn't any room for anything else and you are limited to a shoulder strap. Might as well use another bag.
Having spent in well over $10,000 I do think that I could expect something really practical for my lenses included !
cheers Dave

my 400 & 500 sleep in their suitcases and travel in other bags:smile:
i actually like the metal suitcases, especially since the lens comes to us in them

my 400 & 500 sleep in their suitcases and travel in other bags:smile:
i actually like the metal suitcases, especially since the lens comes to us in them

My 300 and 500 have their own bedroom and bed that they sleep on !!:smile:

Should add it irritates my other half the way I use the guest room as a storage room for bags,tripods,hides,you name it !

What he said.
I love the 300vr's case. I would never take a hardcase out anywhere with me.

Real Name
Randy
My 300 and 500 have their own bedroom and bed that they sleep on !!:smile:

Should add it irritates my other half the way I use the guest room as a storage room for bags,tripods,hides,you name it !

+1 on both

I bought the Lowepro Lens case 5 to put my 300 in when I don't want the bulk of the Nikon case. The 300VR just does fit in the LC5.

My 400 VR hardcase is still untouched sitting in the original Nikon box it shipped in. For the price you pay for these lenses, Nikon should also include a softcase!

Me like my bag...and sleep with it...:biggrin:

_DSC5931.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC5927.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not going to add much to this thread, but I really like the bag. As others have said, you can fit a body in there as well as the lens. Kinda nice if you ask me. But hey, if ya gotta find something to gripe about, make it the bag because it sure won't be the lens itself.

I'm more annoyed that Nikon doesn't provide a lens cap with a lens this expensive. Instead they ship a Nikon employee lunch bag. It's so big it swallows half of the lens and doesn't stay put unless you tightening the straps. If at least they would have gone all the way and make it big enough to fit the entire lens in there, and allow to close the straps on the outside, then that lunch bag would have some use.

Latest threads

Top Bottom