Grizzley bear

I finally found my pics, although looks like I only got 5 shots off and 2 of them was him shaking water off, little blurry urghhhh. Was around Golden BC when I was driving the back roads through the mtns and I thought I saw a blackbear, but to no avail. It wasnt 3 minutes up the road that I ran into a wildlife officer, asked me if I seen anything, and he told me no black bears around here, would I show him. Said if I could bring my camera ;-) . Sure as heck, he drove probably 300 yards up the mtn on this dinky little trail, stopped the truck.........this bear wasnt more than 30 yards from us in I guess visiting his favourite watering hole, the problem is the grass was as tall as I am. Jumped in the back of the box of the truck, he said you need to go higher, so jumped on the roof of the truck and shot these off. Kind of cool. Never seen one in the wild. He estimated this was a 3 year old boar, 350 pounds or so. I have to say, for such a large animal, he walks around like he is in stealth mode, you cannot hear him. Those large pads on his feet are incredible. I can see how someone could accidently walk into one of these guys. This guy was suposedly still with momma bear, usually leave home around 3-4 years old, but never seen her, then again like you could through all that stuff...........we didnt stick around obviously long, but what a thrill!

PEEK A BOO! have 3 shots of him every minute or so being snoopy to see what we were doing.

47047661.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When he finally came out of his bath ..... then he was gone!

47047665.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wow, great grizzly shots! I'd be standing on the cab of a truck too, and it wouldn't be for a better view either!! *LOL* I give bears all the respect they deserve, and more! I've read too many reports from western Canada to ever be non-chalant about a bear.
These are terrific shots, Keith. Very sharp!

Nice shots, Keith. I can only imagine how your heart must have been pounding in your chest. I really like the first image showing a very inquisitive bear. Very nice images.

looks like you where using that VR .. i would have been shaking so bad..you could not have told what it was in the pics.. great job..

Tim

I am GREEN w/envy. what wonderful shots. I'd have been terrified, but an opportunity like that, woa!

OK, we've heard your story. I haven't been in this situation, but if I was, this would be mine. I would:

1 - Roll up the windows and lock the doors

2 - Scrunch down on the floorboard of the truck and cover myself with my camera gear

3 - Insist in a loud voice that the ranger get the heck out of there

:lol:

Great shots. :wink:

Thanks Sandy..........

In all honesty, didnt think much about it at the time, I was just in awe of such a beautiful creature...........now after, that was a thrill .......... Now understand I was standing next to a park ranger who had a holster, helped a little. LOL

TOLady said:
Wow, great grizzly shots! I'd be standing on the cab of a truck too, and it wouldn't be for a better view either!! *LOL* I give bears all the respect they deserve, and more! I've read too many reports from western Canada to ever be non-chalant about a bear.
These are terrific shots, Keith. Very sharp!

Thanks Frank, that was my favourite too !!!

eng45ine said:
Nice shots, Keith. I can only imagine how your heart must have been pounding in your chest. I really like the first image showing a very inquisitive bear. Very nice images.

Well Kevin

hate to admit , but believe this was with my 70-200mm VR with no tc . I didnt want to scare the ranger with all my photo gear. :lol: These are probably 50% crops ..............

Kevin Scott said:
Great shots, Keith, and what an experience!! Which lens were you using? 300 or 400?

Hi Tim, welcome to the cafe.............I got quite the chuckle reading your reply. LOL!!!!

mrtac2man said:
looks like you where using that VR .. i would have been shaking so bad..you could not have told what it was in the pics.. great job..

Tim

Thanks Leigh and Gordon, appreciate the kind comments..........their not pretty birds but I will take it. LOL!!!!

Leigh said:
I am GREEN w/envy. what wonderful shots. I'd have been terrified, but an opportunity like that, woa!

Should be a good time when they are getting ready to den, they will be quite active. would luv to go to the coast and photograph these guys feeding on salmon, that would be cool! Hope you enjoy your trip!

Pa said:
Excellent pictures and very timely, as I expect to be in Golden, BC in early September.

I'll be on the lookout for your bear!

Frank, roflmao!!!!!!!!!!! oh my god, I think I busted a gut...............
trust me you would be in there like a dirty shirt. The whole journey lasted less than 60 seconds. Was more concerned when I couldnt see him. LOL :wink:

Flew said:
OK, we've heard your story. I haven't been in this situation, but if I was, this would be mine. I would:

1 - Roll up the windows and lock the doors

2 - Scrunch down on the floorboard of the truck and cover myself with my camera gear

3 - Insist in a loud voice that the ranger get the heck out of there

:lol:

Great shots. :wink:

Keith how sis I miss THIS....

Peek-a-boo is wonderful, love it.

I would not have been scared.

Have Camera Has No Fear.......

Maybe later :>)))))))

I would love to see the animals in the wild also.

Marvelous shots, story and images.

Thank you for sharing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom