Grizzlies near Lamar River

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It's always exciting to see bears! It's disappointing that there were so many people there. I'm sure it will be infinitely worse when I arrive in Lamar Valley in July.

Glenn
Justin and I spent 5 days in Yellowstone beginning May 2. By the time we left, we were glad to get out of there. Why? First, too many people. Second, the park is not nearly as spectacular as it was long ago. Mammoth Springs are quite dry, as are Biscuit Basin, most of the pools are mere shadows of their former selves, etc. Riverside Geyser was still a treat, though! LOL! We will probably not return.

Good luck!

Glenn, you're a brave man. The National Parks are going to be jam packed this summer. So much pent up travel demand in this country. I put my plans on hold until the fall.
I realize what I'm getting myself into. If I don't travel this July, my next opportunity won't be until November. And there is pent up demand in me to travel as well!

My plans are to spend time in many of the small towns along the way during a road trip from Chicago. The Yellowstone portion of the trip is relatively short. Since I'll be out there, it still justifies spending some time in that location in my opinion. Just prior to that, I've made arrangements to secure private access to photograph the interior of the old Wyoming Frontier Prison in Rawlins. At least I know that I'll have that location to myself!

Glenn

Justin and I spent 5 days in Yellowstone beginning May 2. By the time we left, we were glad to get out of there. Why? First, too many people. Second, the park is not nearly as spectacular as it was long ago. Mammoth Springs are quite dry, as are Biscuit Basin, most of the pools are mere shadows of their former selves, etc. Riverside Geyser was still a treat, though! LOL! We will probably not return.

Good luck!
The last time I visited Yellowstone in was in July and the place was packed with people. I discovered that nearly all of the spots that I visited were desolate when I arrived on location at 5:30am! I also discovered that if I walked down a trail more than 200 yards that I had the place to myself. The Mammoth Springs were pretty much dried out back then too--but I understand that will ebb and flow over the years. It's not nearly as scenic when dry!

I know I will find Yellowstone Lake to be beautiful and there is plenty of shoreline to disperse the crowds. And, the canyon area is always beautiful even if I have to share the observation decks with a lot of other tourists.

In the end, I'm basically just passing through the park. The purpose of my trip is to visit many of the small towns along the way from Chicago. I have stays in Des Moines, Omaha, North Platte, Scottsbluff, Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins, Jackson, Bozeman, Helena, Billings, Wall (SD) and Pierre. Should be fun.

Glenn

Good luck!
We don’t even stop in Mammoth any more. It really has dried up. We usually go to Yellowstone once a year but much prefer Grand Teton NP. I do know that the park is always changing. Last year Steamboat geyser was erupting quite often. I haven’t heard a thing about it this year. The wildlife is always fun to see.

I've a more than 45 year association with YNP, both for recreation and also for work. One constant has been the growing human presence. The big variable has been nature. Pre and post the big fires, for example. Insect damage to trees, wild flower blooms, animal numbers, and certainly all the hydro-geologic features. The last dependent on a host of events, not limited to rain and snow fall in previous years, but also a complex and largely unknown geology. To simply write the park off as ". . not nearly as spectacular as it was long ago . . ." and ". . mere shadows of their former selves," is to miss the whole purpose of the National Park System. It is not Disneyworld/land where things are robotic and controlled.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom