Ground Squirrel

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Jim Jeter, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Noting great but I liked it. The crop might be a bit too tight.. oh well.:smile:
    D200, 70-200 f2.8VR with TC 1.7 IIE
    1/100 sec, 340mm, f13
    99434041.gif

2. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    I like the crop. Where I live there are squirrels everywhere, but they seem impossible to photograph.

3. W6PJJ

W6PJJ Guest

I like the squirrel, looks like a Columbian Variety plenty of them here in N. CA. The metal leg to the left appears to be a front leg on a fifth wheel trailer and possibly a camping site where they will come in very close for a treat. Only a guess though. I used to shoot hundreds of them in a days work on ranches north of here. The shooter did not have a shutter release, it had a trigger and dispatched them very quickly even out to 500 yards. It would have taken a big piece of glass to capture one at that range. I have tried to get close-ups of them with my Nikon but they just dive down into their burrow for cover. Show some more I like um...

4. These guys will come up and eat out of your hand (although there are sign telling people not to feed the wildlife).

5. Actually that "metal leg" is the post of a sign telling people not to feed these critters (or the birds).
    Here's another one:
    96576124.gif
    And One More:
    View attachment 216886

6. I love the the last one you posted! Little guy standing up with his little paws together like he's smiling and saying "please feed me?!"

7. Did you notice how this one's cheeks are puffed up. I doubt she needed anything more to eat but it does look like she's got some babies nursing so maybe she needs all the help she can get.:smile:

8. I noticed! That's why the photo was so adorable!:biggrin:

9. Wow, your squirrels have very odd shaped ears compared to our squirrels. They are really cute. Nice shots. I like the one standing on the rock the best.

10. These ground squirrels are a lot smaller than the ones I've seen in other locations. The squirrels in our local mountains are different, and larger, than these. The ones in the Sierras are even larger still (both red and gray but I haven't seen a red squirrel in quite a while).