Ground zero

Well once again mother nature has taken time out from her normal day to day routine to remind us here in south Fl just how unimpressed she is with our efforts to control things. This time it’s Katrina probably a cat 1 hurricane when she makes land fall early Fri am. It kinds looks at this point Broward county is going to get the brunt of it 15 inches of rain and tornados are always a possibility with these things. Well I’m going to go test out the emergency generator and pick up the yard we live in a new brick house with metal shutters so I’m not too concerned but if you have a minute say a prayer for some of the less fortunate. Ill keep you posted.

Hurricanes again

Ohhhhhh not again. Enough last year. We have a month to go to test our patience once again.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hang in there Kiddo...Brevard on the North end will feel it as well.

Leave our Viera Wetlands alone :>))))))))) grrrrrrrr

Thank you Gordon I was just cruising through your gallery your photos of Stephany G. is some of the nicest portrait work Ive seen in a while.
Gale can you believe it, today is the anniversary of Andrew thank god this one is just a baby compared to him. I tested out the generator tonight I'm sure that we will lose power for a little while. Ive been watching the Doppler the outer bands are starting to hit the coast its looking like fort Lauderdale is going to be where it comes ashore oh well a photo op is a photo op.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Removed User 1

Photo Opp

Katrina is a photo opportunity. I plan to go to Hollywood Beach early tomorrow and take some shots of the beach rebuilding project and then some shots after the storm passes.
And other other things I can find.

Even a small hurricane's nothing to mess around with. Ya'll be careful out there tomorrow. We don't want to lose any Cafe members trying to get storm shots! Good luck!

I left for Mesa AZ this am, but first put up the 10 ft hurricane shutters for the back wall of windows we have. 14 shutters, each 10 ft long. My wife brought in what she could. I have a friend ready to button up the house for me while I'm here. But from my vantage point, looks like my area should dodge this bullit.

Good luck down south. Wish I could be of more help. No hurricanes here in AZ.

Richard,

Across that big water we don't have that tremendous nature violence,we see the damage these tropical storms create and it's a disaster
Yesterday evening on the news over here they said that the forecast is adjusted to 16 up to 21 tropical storms this season.

Just want to express my feelings to every living soul over there they are in my thoughts,hang in there
Hope next year will be not as bad

Harris I want to go to AZ I'm tired of these storms have fun. Hans thank you for the kind words. It is AM and its just like a bad day overcast with periods of rain very little wind except when one of the outer bands sweeps over us then 15-20 gusts. People are going crazy you cant get in the Publix and gas lines are starting I filled up my two vehicles late last night and two 5 gallon cans for the generator. My wife is at work but when she gets back I'm going to try and get down to the beach and shoot some surf pictures.Ill keep everyone posted

huskey8 said:
Well once again mother nature has taken time out from her normal day to day routine to remind us here in south Fl just how unimpressed she is with our efforts to control things. This time it’s Katrina probably a cat 1 hurricane when she makes land fall early Fri am. It kinds looks at this point Broward county is going to get the brunt of it 15 inches of rain and tornados are always a possibility with these things. Well I’m going to go test out the emergency generator and pick up the yard we live in a new brick house with metal shutters so I’m not too concerned but if you have a minute say a prayer for some of the less fortunate. Ill keep you posted.
Richard Good luck to you your familay and your houshold and all of the folks in S. FLA for that matter.

Based on the projected tracks Katrina will pay me a visit Monday. :mad: There went my trip to St. Marks NWR. :Sad:

This area is almost 9 inches above average already. We don't need any more rain.

Russ

R

Removed User 1

My Status

I live in a high rise on Hollywood Blvd. I am near the stairwell and the noise is very loud. The AC no longer has any effect on my unit since the warm air is flowing into my apartment and out the vents in the hallway. I opened my front door and the other doors are buzzing loudly like kazoozs.

Real Name
Heiko
Richard and all others out there in FL,

Hope you and your homes get spared from the desasters and damage a hurricane can bring.

Climate nearly everywhere seems to be changing. Just returned from a 3 week "summer" vacation in Germany and Austria - most of the time it was as cold as in the winter here (Israel). Two days - the nicest ones of all - we drove to Austria to see some snow in the alps (a first time for our kids). On the way back it started to rain and two days later the news reported heavy floods and serious damage to many houses. At the same time fires rage in Portugal. It's really weird to see all these natural catastrophes coming upon so many regions, ever more frequently. Does mother nature want to get rid of us? Hope not.

I wish you all the best and good luck!

Good Luck to you all in the path of Katrina. Any hurricane is awful!

I am up in Michigan now but we're leaving for our home in Fort Myers in ten days. Last summer we had to stay up here in Michigan for the month of September because the terrible hurricanes kept going up I-75 and we wanted to go south on I-75..

We're keeping our fingers crossed that this September won't be as bad and that we can get home as planned.

I'm hoping for the best for you all in the path of Katrina--and be careful and don't underestimate it.

My thoughts are with all of you that live in the Hurricane zone...not just Katrina this time, but those who have been affected in the past and those who will undoubtedly be challenged in the future. Please try and be as safe as possible. I know it's tempting to go out and get really cool pictures of the storms as they come through, but nothing is more important to us as your safety. That being said, to those currently being affected, please keep up posted on your condition as you can. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to post a request on the Cafe....we're all here to help!

Been shooting all day, nothing awesome but not bad considering my conditions. I'm gonna try and go all the way outside in a bit with a bag or poncho around my camera with only the flash front and the lens poking out. It has been a bit better out now, I think the worst may be over.
Already lost at least one large branch off our big tree, and part of the frame of the screen enclosure is broken. Patio is flooded, but the house itself is over 2, maybe 3 feet above that. neighbors almost lost their carport awning, but got the top down early in the storm. My best friend Caroline has also had either 2 extremely large branches or 2 trees fall down. Didn't have time to get the shutters up, and at times we've had windows a bit open for air movement. using the laptop with dialup and battery power...lost Air conditioning at around 6:30, power around 7:15. D70 has performed admirably, and my 17-35 AFS is doing a fantastic job under the circumstances.
I'll try and get a gallery up on my nikonians account, and put a link here at the cafe. I hope you will enjoy them.

After action report

Hi Everyone
Wow where to begin south Florida just didn’t know what it was in for it when Katrina plowed into it yesterday and frankly I was shocked at what has happened in 24 short hours. First of all my family and home is safe thank God it was a long night. A direct lighting strike blew out all the circuitry of my home power system this left us without any 220 service and the only option was to run extension cords from the unit to different parts of the house.The kids were pretty miserable especially the 2y/o between the rain the temperature was still 85-87 and 100 % humidity. But at least we had running water lights and a TV to keep up on the storms progress and to entertain the kids thank you direct TV. We lost telephone just after the strike and service was restored almost 24 hours to the minute along with the electric at the same time weird. The worst of it is that the community has suffered 8 deaths from this monster 6 from trees or tree limbs falling on them one was not a mile from my house my wife an obstetrician was nearly hit by a falling tree returning from delivering a baby very scary. South Dade county has between 10-20 inches of standing water and they are saying it could be 2 week before power is restored and there is some semblance of normalcy given back to those poor people. About a million and a half people are without power and all that standing water is going to cause problems getting things fixed what a mess. I’ve been pretty busy but here is one picture I shot as she came ashore. Thanks everyone for your concern.
http://huskey8.smugmug.com/photos/33634568-M.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom